S2A - Stage 1 conversion

Hi All, I'm just starting a new project fitting a Stage 1 engine and gearbox into a

2A 6 cylinder 109 Station Wagon. I'm hoping to keep the 2A bulkhead (removable lower bulkhead panel) and utilise the Stage 1 propshafts without modification.

The Stage 1 front axle is not available so the longer term plan is to modify Range Rover axles to ride on the leaf springs thus providing more efficient braking and cv joints.

Any comments/experiences would be appreciated.

TIA

Alan

Reply to
Alan Brown

I have stage 1 Axles on Percy, only other thing I'd point out is that depending on what rear axle you have you may need to modify the prop as the Sailsbury as fitted to the Stage 1 will have a shorter prop length than a Rover diff'd axle.

Issues With the Rangie axle will surround the steering linkages fouling the leaf springs. I'm told spacers on the leafs sort this but Have yet to see a succesful modification. IF it was to work the vehicle would be lowered by the hight of the spacer too yet the leaf spring retain the same profile so more likely to foul on the ground etc etc.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Take a look at

has extensive info on repowering a 109. I've also rebuilt a 109 to take a Rover V8 using the standard firewall which had a very poor conversion done on it. I'm afraid its not quite as straight forward as it sounds.

I did the following; New engine mounts to centre the engine in the chassis otherwise the left hand exhausts foul the chassis. Having right angled exhaust does not help the engine breathe.

Cut out first cross member to enable the engine to sit low enough in the chassis, I also did away with the fan and fitted an electric one.

You need to fabricate new radiator mounts which will sit in front of the first cross member. You now need to modify or make up a new front grill. The previous owner had a SS one fitted which was corroding all the Birmabright it was touching. Never EVER use SS on a LR - you'll have nice SS but no Birmabright left.

Move gearbox cross member forward by a few inches (I also had a 5 speed Nissan Cabstar gearbox mounted upto the LR transfer box - a conversion which was made by Marks Engine Adaptors in Victoria, Australia up until about

1995).

The cross member behind the gearbox - the one with the hole in it for the prop shaft - the hole has to move towards the right of the vehicle by about

1" to stop the prop shaft fouling it.

The front drive shaft needs to be a double cardan joint as per the Stage 1 - I was a cheapo and made my own by bolting two unis together. The angle from the axle up to the front output is just that bit too acute for a single uni joint.

I added a couple turnbuckles from the 2nd cross member to the engine to stop it moving forward - common mod apparently.

Disc brakes can be fitted using the kits from Zeus or TI Console - not done on mine. There is also a guy selling an ebook on eBay about fitting Range Rover axles to a Series - measurements etc. I've not seen the book so cant be sure about its contents.

Reply to
Roger Martin

On or around Sat, 3 Jul 2004 06:01:32 +1000, "Roger Martin" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't that give you trouble with the transmission?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Alan Brown