S3 engine knocking

HI,

My 2.25 petrol 3MB engine has developed a knocking noise once the engine gets warm. It sounds sweet as a nut when cold, but after a few mins theres a rumbling sound when driving, and when idling there is a knocking noise, which speeds up when the throttle is pressed. Power doesnt seem to be any less when on the road, but it doesnt sound too good.

As its currently dark and raining, and my garage is full, I havent actually investigated yet, but does anyone know what it might be? Someone suggested my big ends may have gone, so I suppose its new engine time..or is it?

TIA.

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Big ends sounds about right from your description. If it's not an oil burner you could drop the sump off and slip a new set of shells in if the crank looks ok. It wouldn't be hard or expensive to do and should solve the problem.

Reply to
EMB

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Pacman blithered:

Possibly mains or maybe even (cheaper) an engine mount lost its rubber.

Reply to
GbH

What if I said it WAS an oil burner?

Pacman

Then it's probably not worth just doing shells on - I'd either look for a replacement or rebuild it properly.

Reply to
EMB