s3 engine paint

old paint on the engine was light blue , does this signifiy anything ? and what paint should i use and where do i get it from??

thanks in advance

paul

Reply to
o0hex0o

if you are not after originality then you can use hammerite (easy to get hold of!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Will Hammerite take the temperature Tom ? I was thinking of VHT I used to put it on Mini heads but for the life of me I couldn't think who makes the stuff I bet Stephen will have a source. I suppose the paint Agriemach sell for sealing the heat reflective kit would work.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I think it was called eggshell blue, cellulose or synthetic will do, if the engine is running normal temp then it's around water boiling point which will not take the paint off.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I have used standard hammerite on 2 engines so far (landy diesel and a saab turbo) and it is coping fine. I dont believe the block gets hot enough to hurt it. Smells a bit funny for a while but fine after that!

Reply to
Tom Woods

EMB

Cant get a better price than free!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Colours where used to denote engine blocks, cylinder heads and other engine components by some vehicle manufacture's, but I have know idea if the colours used where ever referenced, including Land Rover.

Hammerite do a "high heat" aerosol that will withstand temperatures up to 600°c, used on fire surrounds, boilers etc, but only available in black, However this type of paint is virtually flameproof, whereas you only need a paint to withstand (as previously stated) boiling water, somewhere around 100°c-212°f

Dacrylate heat resisting (600°c) paint is in brushable form but only available in Aluminium.

Blackfriar do a heat resistant paint that will withstand temperatures up to 400°f, but only available in a black enamel.

Dale, Macpherson and Permoglaze, to name a few more.

Specific heat resistant paints have a limited colour range but you can indeed use conventional paint on cylinder blocks. You could in fact use Tekaloid coach enamel or Tekaloid Tractol machine enamel but I'd not waste this paint on cylinder blocks when any conventional alkyd, polyurathane synthetic or non synthetic paint will suffice (within reason).

As with all paints that are about to receive excessive heat treatment, make sure the paint has dried thoroughly before subjecting it to heat otherwise it will blister due to trapped solvents.

There's obviously more heat resisting paints out there, but the ones listed above I do have on reference.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Is it a sort of duck egg blue/green ... like this?

MOD engines - yours may have had a previous life!

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:04:10 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

Sperex?

Reply to
Austin Shackles
[snip]

Hmm, I must add that I have no idea which or what colours where used, only that it is/was common practice to paint engine components.

My 2a cylinder head was/is painted red and the engine block was/is painted a sort of black, don't know why though, sorry.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Temperature was the problem with Mini's around the exhaust manifold was a hot spot ordinary paints would blister quite quickly that and we did stress the Mini's a teeny bit . Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote :-

Hang on a minute, who's going to look down the back of a Mini block to see if the paint's blistered?? Have you nowt better to do? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

difficult to miss when you have to put the exhaust back on periodically ( after each event )thats where Kung Fu got the idea for that opening sequence when he picks up the bowl of hot coals.My 'tattoo' said Mowog ( mini owners know why) when seen in a mirror Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote :-

Yep, done a few of those with trolley jack under the pipe while you got that silly clip on. I've still got quite a few of those 10" Mini Cooper rims about, might try sticking them on fleabay.

Martin

Reply to
Oily