Sad happenings in Lincolnshire

Accident on A153 at Tattershall Bridge, Land Rover in the water, child dead.

I know that bit of road - it is *very* dangerous in the event of an accident.

Stuart

Reply to
srtgray

Bit of a bad weekend, what with Colin McRae and David Richards (from Prodrive) both crashing in separate helicopter crashes (although Richards survived) within 24 hours of each other, I'm glad I was busy with work this weekend!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Tragic... I still after 13 years in the job find my eyes welling up even in the relative comfort of the Control room when we are dealing with fatal RTC especially involving those so young. It may be having children myself, It may also be due to having lost someone close in an motorway RTC. It doesn't seem to get any easier. People who have had a fair innings, take their own lives for what ever reason or total drains on society are a bit easier to cope with as you can somehow take comfort in the fact they have made their choices or lived their lives. Aside from dealing with these incidents it's also the death messages that have to be one of the most difficult parts of the job too, that and the dilema of the mobile ringing out after a fatality, something I'm not missing while in my present role.

It seems even worse that they were trying to avoid a collision and were probably at no fault at the time.

No justice in it at all.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Strange how different news channels report things with a different slant..

9 people in the landy - hope it wasn't a crammed 90

Thoughts to all...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I guess it was probably a 110 with lots of seats. Awful news but confirms my fears that as much as I love the 90/110 it is not a safe car to travel in with kids in the sideways seats.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yeah - I know the feeling, it's the one thing I really don't miss after leaving the fire brigade. If it starts getting easier it means you're becoming inhuman and it's time for a career change.

Reply to
EMB

In message , Andy writes

It doesn't confirm anything of the sort, especially as we don't know the cause of death. If the cause of death was drowning, well, that would have nothing to do with the vehicle, would it?

Sounds to me as though the driver lost control having overtaken the other vehicle. Driver error??

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

Judging by the photo it's a 110 station wagon, and it's not that deep, but sadly it was deep enough.

We were around there yesterday as it was the Boston Marathon, a rowing race along the Witham from Lincoln to Boston which my missus was rowing in. It's only conjecture on my part, but I think the 'trailer containing canoes' was probably a boat trailer carrying boats from the race, not that it matters.

It's been a pretty shi**y weekend for people dying all told :-(

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

On or around Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:00:23 +0100, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

driving into a river doesn't make for comfort or survivability in any motor, though...

don't blame the vehicle. The fault lies with one or another driver. If the reports are true that the landy driver was attempting to avoid a shunt, then probably mostly with some other driver, not him.

Beeb news has a picture, it's a 110 and is completely underwater.

the various reports are that they lost control passing a minibus towing canoes on a trailer on a single track road. It doesn't specify if the minibus was going in the same direction or the other direction. If (note, I say IF) it was same-direction then it's mostly the LR driver's fault - if the other direction he could have taken to the scenery to avoid oncoming, in which case it could be anything from about 90% his fault down to about 10%.

However, these days there seem to be a depressing number of people who don't understand the simple physics of stopping vehicles on single track roads:

There's only one rule: You need to be able to stop using a MAXIMUM of HALF the road you KNOW to be clear.

Sometimes, the safe speed (i.e. that which gives you less than the above stopping distance) is VERY slow in a modern vehicle. I drive single track roads a lot and I'm rarely over 40 (even where I can see for over a hundred yards) and most of the time under 30, and in a lot of places 20 is too fast. The last collision I had, I was happy with 50-50 as an honest assessment of fault - both vehicles were probably doing no more than 20 - I could have been more alert, matey in his rover 400 could have been 2ft nearer the hedge, and we *might* have got away with it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:06:47 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

solely

without further info, it's impossible to say whether there was any fault.

now, there I agree.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:59:17 -0700, AndyC enlightened us thusly:

the picture I saw it's completely submerged...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Absolutely. I wasn't claiming to know, just that I was listening in the car going up to Leominster early this morning. I definitely _wasn't_ concentrating on the radio at the time.

Nasty business.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Austin Shackles wrote: [Snip]

Having driven down some very narrow lanes around here, with poor visibility into the distance or around bends, I tend to drive along them at about

10mph now - especially as you never know if some nutter is going to be racing in the opposite direction.
Reply to
Paul Vigay

Around here it's the enormous tankers doing the rounds to the farms, I swear those things can accelerate faster on small roads than on motorways ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

srtgray uttered summat worrerz funny about:

from MCUK

"the persons involved in this tragedy are regulars on the Landrovers owners forum and very well known at shows ect. Gresh and Sarah our thoughts are with you"

and worse news still

"More bad news i'm afraid. Another of Gresh's children has passed away our thoughts are with them"

absoloutely tragic.

Had another today on my patch , Concrete mixer V Nissan Micra. Micra driver was a fatality. I had a few horrid minutes waiting for the details of the vehicle to be established as my family use the road concerned and initally all we had was that it was a fatal.

Then there is the fatal after the police Pursuit. The officers appear to have done the right thing aborting once they went on to the M-Way the wrong way. Accident happened 1 1/2 mile further down the motorway from the facts I've gleened from the news once they hit everyone with the shock headline which seems to suggest the officers chased them down to their deaths.

Tragic.. a terrible few days.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

There are not many yellow 110's...

I really am thinking of everyone involved...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Heh. In the area round Brigg it was the East Riding Sack and Paper Company - massive artics with the performance of a sports car and a Schumaker at the wheel of each one. Or so it seemed when you had to share the narrow roads with them.

Reply to
Rich B

No words can describe how sad and terrible this must be for those poor parents. My thoughts and prayers go out to them

Reply to
madhatchetman

From this report things could have been even worse but for the actions of a couple of chaps who saw the accident - and happened to have a hammer with them:

Certainly one of the the worst accident senarios imaginable.

-- Fred

Reply to
Fred

That poor family our hearts go out to them. I'd just thought i might add that my 110 is a 12 seater and all belted up too. Yes they are a bit unstable with that many adults or even kids in it. but thats what the 110 was designed for initially. To transport 12 fully armed men and kit to a given spot. CP variants etc were an afterthought. But 110's with a lot of passengers ( missus & co all screaming girls all ratted an me on sharkwatch/driver @ burghley this year. ) is a hard drive taking cambers into account as well as wind. I suspect they had to move over to allow the van through and got tramlined... My familys thoughts are with them.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®