Salisbury diff pinion waggle. sounds dangerous/expensive

Hi folks, In short, I can waggle the back end of my rear propshaft (diff input flange) side to side about a quarter of an inch.

I also have been (for a year or so) getting drive vibration when accelerating or going uphill.

  1. I know the Haynes manual says "stay away from diffs and get a grown-up to look at it", but I have installed an automatic difflock myself which needed the crownwheel and satellite gears etc removed and fiddled with. That was 5 or 6 years ago and I've had no problems.

However I have never investigated the front half of the diff and have no idea what to expect. By the looks of it we are talking hydraulic presses and the like... any comments?

Is this a job I could tackle myself. ( I built the wagon from a galv-chassis upwards 11years and 90,000miles ago ) I have no workshop facilities but a serious selection of handtools.

The wagon is a 109 SIII Stat Wag. The diff is an ex-MOD salisbury (white cover with stencil writing on it)

Cheers

Reply to
Andy Richardson

The 101 is also fitted with Salisbury's.

It sounds like the bearings have collapsed. When I fitted the Detroit in my 101, I read up on doing the diff, and there wasn't anything too hard, if you are methodical and thorough. You should have a DTI and a clamp or some other good method of measuring the endfloat and backlash in the pinion and crown wheel. You also need a new collapsible spacer, and perhaps a new set of shims AFAIR. The crown wheel and pinion are matched pairs I think, and the required shim sizes is stated on the end of the pinion

You also really need to knock up a diff-spreader - to stretch the case to drop the crown wheel out to remove the pinion. Some "authorities" say you don't need one, and to just wrench the whole diff out with a 12 foot scaffolding pole to provide a bit of leverage....

On the other hand you might want to do the job right.

You should also torque up the pinion to a specific drag in the new bearings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

When I tried doing the pinion bearings on a 90 diff, I coudn't get the pinion height right as I didn't have the right tools. The diff ended up howling coz the mesh wasn't perfect. I fitted airlockers to the same diffs without a problem.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

Cheers Steve and jOn, it sounds a quick job if you've done it before and have the tools, but there is a lot to get very wrong by the sounds of it. It looks like the pinion positioning would have to be a massively long way out before the thing locks up and explodes at high speed. It sounds more likely that I'll end up with a functional but noisy diff.

The bit that scares me is that it's my only vehicle (apart from a push bike)

I'll have a look just to get the lay of the land. I'll admit it.. I'm frightened... I'll oil the bike chain. thanks again.

Reply to
Andy Richardson

I should think a 30 quid digital vernier caliper would work fine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It takes a real man to admit when he doens't know things and he's scared ;-)

I'd hunt around for a spare axle myself as they're worth next to nothing s/h - say twenty quid for the axle. Remember the costs of all the bits you might need to do the salisbury correctly as Steve lists - check that it's economically viable rather than swapping, especially if time off the road is a concern.

Regards

William MacLeod

ps Just checked on eBay, they are a few at prices I mentioned. Find the one closest to you and go pick up :-)

Reply to
willie

Or even a 11 quid one?

It's Tchibo who are selling them cheap this week.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Yep, one of them. Tchibo ? I thought they sold coffee !

Steve

Reply to
Steve

They still do, but have joined Lidl, Netto and Aldi in doing "specials of the week". Some of the stuff is cheap and perfectly adequate: e.g. a load of skiing clothing just before Xmas, and a 15 quid ultrasonic cleaning bath.

They have also opened a load of shops, including one in the town where I work which suddenly appeared a couple of months ago.

Alan J. Wylie

P.S. Some specials which might be of interest to L-R owners:

"Power station" (small 12V Lead-Acid accumulator with jump leads and compressor) £25

Single halogen light on a tripod £12

and more

125/250kg electric hoist £40

power station with compressor £20

not much for the next couple of weeks

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

You missed the (from Thurs 26th): Windscreen Anti Freeze ? 5L * The must-have for the cold season * 5L lemon scented frost protector for windscreen wash (effective up to -70=B0C) * Price per item * =A33.99

Can someone explain what "(effective up to -70=B0C)" really means? Bearing in mind the Carbon Dioxide becomes solid at -79C...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're kidding ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Neighbour uses it all the time. It's actually very good and leaves the car smelling, well, quite fresh. The lemon smell isn't as disgusting, or chemicalised as many screenwashes... Wish I'd gone a got a good stock of it when they had it in Aldi.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:25:36 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I dunno, I rather like the industrial alcohol smell some of 'em have.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nope, that was cut 'n paste from the web page...

Now what about the "up to -70C" phrase?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I reckon this has it - but is masked by the not unpleasant cirus bouquet. Actually, it's prolly pretty bad methanol or somesuch that needs the au-de-leemone!

Reply to
Mother

Bad gramma init? Should be 'down to'... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Ahh, but does it improve the flavour? ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Ah, that must be the organic lemon scented screenwash then.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The flavour needs improving?