Sat Nav on the Cheap?

Ok.

I now own nearly all the hardware I think I need (Road Angel (which has a NMEA output), Laptop, Laptop Mount and crucially Tom's knob.

Question is, which (low cost) software should I look at for on-road navigation.

I have a copy of Autoroute 2004, which I think shows your current location, but I suspect does not give real time navigation instuctions?

Any suggestions?

David

Reply to
rads

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Garmin Mapsource? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Dont think Mapsource gives you voice directions, mearly shows roads on screen.

TomTom is bar far the best available in my opinion...

J>Ok.

Reply to
Jon

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

For a laptop? Infomap navigator. It does the trick, does postcodes too if I recall correctly. Misses out on a few of the functions of PDA based nav packages but it's as cheap as chips. We used it before going to PDA without any major issues. Unless you go to La Harve in which case it may try to send you the wrong way around one particular roundabout.

Version I have doesn't have the M6 Toll but my copy is now a little dated so that may have been sorted.

I think I paid £120 for the package and a GPS mouse. Ebay should throw up a few gems. £80 or there abouts sounds familiar for just the package alone

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Mapsource does not do routing. If you have something like a Garmin GPS 18 or another Garmin GPS for which you have the maps CD then nRoute is the best there is. Find your choice of languages here:

iam_anon_ymous

InfoMap Navigator. Maybe AutoRoute 2006 too when it's released shortly. Will have voice navigation at last.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Yes I am also a fan of Info Map Navigator.

Good voice directions and a clear map. I think clearer than Tom Tom.

Also available for Europe

Les

Reply to
Dadio

A laptop solution could never replace a PocketPC or PND, better screens (most laptops washout in sunlight), easier to position where you need it, better interface for quick access on the move.

But if Laptop is your choice then InfoMap is both very cheap and capable.