Satellite spy in every vehicle

It's no good just denying it will ever happen. If Tim keeps saying it won't or can't, he may be right but he more than likely will be wrong. GPS is already two way as we use it on marine position finders to add pinpoint accuracy. It's called SdGPS (Satellite Differential GPS). The technology is already there and some is already in use. It's too simplistic to say that the system can easily be jammed. If it's not receiving a signal the car won't start! The only way round it is to go outlaw. With no tax, insurance, MOT or GPS spy in the car. It's probably the easiest solution. Seems to work well for our foreign friends who kill pedestrians and then get off with a fine for dangerous driving. Peter

Reply to
Peter

AIUI, differential GPS is not two way in that there is an out going link from the receiver to elsewhere. What it does is utilises another, terrestial based, signal from a transmitter whose location is known very accurately. A differential GPS Rx then uses that signal with the ordinary GPS one to correct the inherent GPS errors.

So what do you do if you park under trees or in a garage?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh honestly do you really think that you would not be able to get round that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't think how you could wire something like that with a foolproof immobiliser in a vintage landie, besides there would be safety issues, what happens inside a tunnell, a garage, a multi storey carpark where you cannot get a satellite signal.

I daresay there are several steep valleys where you cannot either.

Reply to
Larry

[snip rest of paranoid rhetoric]

Not really worth a reply, but here goes...

You're talking bollocks.

Reply to
Mother

We're talking about our world, not pixie-land.

You on the other hand, are far more accurate; you're entirely wrong, which beats Tim's "maybe wrong" any day.

... which works by RECEIVING a signal from a beacon with a known position and using that to bring the accuracy up from about 10 metres to about 5 metres, with WAAS it can be 3 metres. But this is in open space, you need three or four widely spaced satellites to achieve that, in a city errors are much higher because the only satellites you can see are likely to be close together.

If you had any idea about how radio works you'd realise that millions of cars transmitting to satellites would all require their own frequency or would require precise multiplexing syncronised to picosecond accuracy across thousands of cars. This would eat up the radio spectrum in no time. As I said in a previous post, if they want to transmit anything they'd more likely use mobile networks or pager networks which work on a cellular basis avoiding the frequency spectrum problem.

I expect that if you want to stick to your two-way satellite theory you'll probably point to two-way satellite internet or phones to support your idea, however these use aerials positioned to point to a specific satellite allowing the same frequency to be used on others, this isn't possible with a moving car without gyroscopically stabilised radomes on top of the car, which I think we'd notice. Even if we didn't notice a 12-inch dome on the tops of our cars, this method still wouldn't allow millions of cars to be tracked as it still wouldn't reduce the need for frequencies down to a manageable level.

Maybe, but not using the technology you think. If you go to Northern Ireland you'll find that GPRS is extremely fast and reliable and mobile phone signals are surprisingly good. There was a huge investment programme in communications systems in NI to aid in setting up remote cameras and number plate tracking systems to help hunt down wanted people. They don't use two-way satellite traffic.

You're making this up on the hoof, and not very well.

Or walk. Or wear a tin hat and lead underpants.

Oooooh those nnnnnnnaughty foreigners!

Peter is slang for 'penis', I sense a conspiracy here!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

DGPS is good to a hell of a lot better than 3 metres,like sub 1cm But you have to be patient - 45 minutes per datum ! Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Didn't this become irrelevant when 'Selective Availability' was turned off? The signal is now more accurate than most receivers? We all get the military grade signal until they decide to turn it off again.

(There was a story that it was switched off to stop people trying to hack the mil-grade signal as some of the gps-encryption forum posts were getting close...)

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

You still get a little variance from the orbital variations of the satellites - not much, but DGPS allows it to be more or less eliminated, after all, buildings don't often move much relative to the country they're built in.

P.

Reply to
Paul Brown

I don't think so, there is an intrinsic uncertainty, which only dgps can resolve. Take a look at DGPS on the Trimble website.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Yep I know, but it's about 3 metres or when you're moving, which was what I meant. Surveyors use differential GPS on building sites, so it's certainly good enough, unless of course your building site happens to be moving!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings wrote: unless of course your building site

Well of course it could be tricky in California !

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

They do actually, the ground has tides as well as the sea.

Reply to
Larry

I heard that the entire Wirral moves fairly bodily with tidal forces !

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Dont think there's many on here need worry about speeding!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Indeed! Bring it on I say, nothing to hide here. Maybe insurance premiums will stabilise too. As for my civil liberties I can still picnic, protest (should the need ever take me) and have a life so WTF does it have to do with effecting my liberty? For me they can hook the cars up to it to prevent speeding in areas of high accidents.. hell do it everywhere, sooner the better.

If the authorities suspect I was worthy of "tracking" then with the relevant authorisations they can already, and have for some time been tracking vehicles.... nothing new there.

Does the OP carry a mobile phone I wonder... or use the internet for communications?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

If you do not sabotage the device, and if it can be fitted to all vehicles regardless of age, I still think this is hype.

Reply to
Larry

Sudden visions of fitting it to old Positive Earth motors and it going "PHUT*

Hehehe...

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

button.

removes all

I wonder if there will be a positive earth version for my Healey 3000

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

And with frightening ease can _many_ authorities, not only Police, get an order, usually via the phone with paperwork to follow.

Can't see the point of all this high tech surveillance miself. Anyone wanting to know where I am, where I've been, where I'm going, who I talk to, what I say, what I drank, where I fell over need only ask Charlotte...

Cheap, easy, less paperwork.

Reply to
Mother

beamendsltd> That attitude has only come about recently - I have beamendsltd> always been at the front of the queue to defend beamendsltd> peoples right to do as they choose (within society's beamendsltd> "norms") - but I've had enough. I'm going to be beamendsltd> stopped from going to the pub (or anywhere else) in beamendsltd> three years time, I'm being told my car is beamendsltd> unacceptable, I'm being told where and when I can beamendsltd> drive, I'm being told what colour front door I can beamendsltd> have (well, if I lived in the Peak Park I would), I'm beamendsltd> being told what I can and can't eat, I'm being told beamendsltd> what utensils I shold have in my kitchen, etc etc - beamendsltd> so now bugger 'em I say - and when they moan about beamendsltd> their rights being infringed I just laugh - they've beamendsltd> got it comming!

I'm inclined to agree... it's hard to stick up for anyone else when you feel rather "put upon" yourself.

beamendsltd> But I don't hear you actively defening ones right to beamendsltd> make ones own choices - inactivity is effectively beamendsltd> being anti - without wishing to inclur Goodwins Law,

Well, I usually keep my politics out of these forums, but in every single instance I've written to my MP in the last 3 years, it's been about exactly that - whether on the subject of hunting, speed limit enforcement, pub opening hours, or identity cards. I'm not a political activist, largely because I think it's a waste of time and this government in particular are determined to shaft the populace whatever way they can.

beamendsltd> Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the beamendsltd> road to annoy the Lib Dems

And well done for that!!!!!

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB