Screwdriver for 90 doors???

I need to take the doors off my 1988 90 and the screw heads are pretty big suckers...

Nothing I've seen in the shops will come close to fitting them...

I think they are Posidrive rather than Philips but can anybody tell me what size I'm after and where the devil I'd be able to buy them... (online if poss).

Thanks, David

Reply to
Plus.net Newsgroups

On or around Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:45:45 -0000, "Plus.net Newsgroups" enlightened us thusly:

I think they're no.4. as you say, big feckers, and they are indeed pozidriv, not phillips. Phillips have tapered blades, pozi have parallel.

they might even be no.5, id there is such an animal. certainly bigger than no.3, although I got mine undone with a no.3 square shaft with a spanner on it for leverage.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You are not looking hard enough !

An impact driver (the type you hit with a hammer rather than the air/electric type) is the tool for the job.

Make sure you get new bolts before you start.

If they don't shift then drill them out.

hope this helps

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Personally I'd use an air impact wrench - less chance of bending the doors if you end up hitting things hard. So long as you lean on them hard they do a great job of getting these bolts out.

Reply to
EMB

And lots of WD40 off-course. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Have heard somewhere that they have captive nuts or whatever behind which can work loose and drop so as to cause a problem when trying to fit new bolt ???

Reply to
Hirsty's

The bits that come with air wrenches and impact drivers are indeed just the right size, plus ScrewFix do a large CK screwdriver of the right size. However...... Unless the screws are new(ish) I always drill the heads off, as, as pointed out in another reply, missing with an impact driver can be slightly annoying, and with either an impact driver or air tool there is a good chance of mangling the steel that retains the captive nuts. The usual problem when changing the hinges is that the captives break up and just spin - another advantage of drilling. Any bits of the captive that do fall off will disappear in to the black hole of the bulkhead and never be seen again......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The drive end on a hand impact wrench is 1/2 inch drive so a t-bar or ratchet could be used. Be carefull with the air tools as you can't feel much and may just take the head off the screw.

Air tools are a god send but I wouldn't in this instance. Just my thoughts.

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania