Second spare wheel storage on TD5

Hi group, I have been told that it is not possible to mount a spare wheel on the bonnet of a 2002 TD5 110. Due to the bonnet not being strong enough, is it possible if I chequerplate the bonnet?

I have just done a 5000KM outback trip and carried two spare wheels. one on the rear door and one inside behind the cargo barrier With the roofrack tent there is no room on top and carrying it inside takes up too much space.

cheers 3LB

Reply to
3LB

If you're clever you could chequerplate the top, and attach the chequerplate to some box-section bracing struts underneath, which should be more than strong enough.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Do you REALLY need two spare wheels ? One gives you a full set of spare parts (wheel, tyre, valve/inner tube) but two seems a bit overkill.

With a decent bead breaker and a pair of tyre irons it takes about 20 minutes to repair a tyre. It seems to me that you could simply carry a repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes. Easier to store, less weight to lug around and less dangerous when you're working under the bonnet. (If you've never tried lifting a bonnet on a vehicle with a spare wheel on it - you're in for a shock !). Vehicles with a spare wheel on the bonnet should also have the much sturdier bonnet prop rather than the latching type that comes as standard. You really don't want to stick your head under the bonnet without a good support when you've got a spare wheel on there as well.

If you get a kit such as the Tyrepliers one it has all you need to repair tubeless and tubed tyres. It comes with a bead breaker, tyre irons and all the tools and materials you need. Adding a couple of spare inner tubes will mean that even a badly cut tubeless tyre can be repaired for long enough to get back to civilisation. I can envisage a situation where one tyre could be rendered unusable but that, IME, is far more likely to happen on a motorway than on a dirt track. If you are running tubeless you should always carry tubes of the correct size so you have the option of sticking a tube in if you run out of sticky string or patches.

Carrying two spares IMV gives you less security than carrying a tyre changing/repair kit. With a good kit you can cope with multiple punctures if need be. If you want real belt and braces you could supplement the kit with an unmounted spare tyre. The tyre then makes a good storage place for ropes, tools, clothing etc... so takes up a lot less room than a mounted spare.

I'm assuming you are using steel wheels rather than alloy. If you are using alloy then you do need at least two spares if you are driving off tarmac as the wheel is more likely to sustain unrepairable damage. You should still carry a means of repairing a tyre anyway where you envisage being reliant on your vehicle.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

There is not enough clearance between bonnet and engine to do this. Have looked at it a swell and keep second spare on RR

Reply to
Aubrey

Dave White wrote in news:20040904234526101+ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

An interesting documentary on a desert expedition a few years back. The party ran out of spare tyres AND tubes.

Fortunately, some arabs were passing by (or one of their party was a local, can't remember). They cut up a spoilt inner tube for patches and melted the sole of someone's sandal for the glue!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Twas Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:23:05 GMT when "3LB" put finger to keyboard producing:

would a bonnet from an older defender fit straight on? I fitted my spare to my bonnet using the mounting kit I removed from the rear door as the rear door is too rotten to take the weight, it fitted straight on with no problems.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yep....wait until you've poked a rock thru 2 sidewalls in one day, then work out what to do next. Anyway, temperatures in the middle of the GABA (Great Australian Bugger All) are high enough that dismembering a tyre, repairing it and reassembling it is not a nice thing to have to do until the cool of night.

Reply to
EMB

Some interesting replies, I run tubeless alloys but the second spare is a steel rim from a Disco. Didn't think of the strut not being able to support the tyre with the bonnet up either. The Roof top tent is an Aussie Traveller and takes up the whole of the roof apart from above the drivers and front passenger seat. There is about 70cm space left, maybe I can have a custom roof rack made maybe 90cm in length and have two struts running down to the bull bar to aid support? Stick the wheel up there.

cheers 3LB

chequerplate

Reply to
3LB

UK military have them mounted on the passenger side. Not sure if you can buy the fitting kit elsewhere, or how it works though...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Twas Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:36:51 GMT when "3LB" put finger to keyboard producing:

you could maybe fit a small rack above the windscreen fixed to the front of the gutter and the bulkhead.

the standard strut on my 1984 csw seems easily man-enough to hold the bonnet up with the spare on, and I have no problem at all lifting it.

here's an idea, could you fit a heavy duty spare wheel carrier on the back and mount 2 spares on it back to back? just a thought.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I thought you were going to say they used a sheeps bladder or some such thing.

Reply to
Larry

"Larry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

No, they are saved for a busted radiator hose.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue