Self-levelling unit

Any idea what the consequences of doing away with the self-levelling unit on a 79 RR would be? I can't see that it actually has any effect unless you've got an enormous trailer on the back - and even then I wonder what it actually does. Does it really level anything? It seems like it's just a big damper to me, rather than a levelling unit. So, can I just chop it off? BTW, I've also got a coiler-converted Series which uses the A-frame and it hasn't got a damper/leveller and neither does the Discovery, which essentially has the same setup as the RR ..... except for this leveller thing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I believe, as someone from this group told me, that the 'damper' maintains a level load regardless of weight carried...but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong! ; )

Reply to
Wolverine

The only thing you may have to do (assuming that the leveller is working at the moment) is put some heavier duty springs on the rear as, in theory, the leveller would normally take part of the weight of the rear of the vehicle.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:51:49 +0000 (UTC), "Steve" enlightened us thusly:

if it's working, it applies great cunningness to applying more pressure once it reaches a certain pre-set compression. It does this after a certain amount of driving, as it has to "pump itself up", once the trigger conditions have been met. If not working, I'd expect it to sit low at the rear when laden.

take it off, put stiffer springs on (the ones from a non-leveller-equipped vehicle - non-leveller disco rears might well suit)

But if it's working, leave it well alone.

Reply to
Austin Shackles