Selling Landrover - Vehicleweb whats the catch?

Having advertised my Defender in Landrover magazine at £2900 I'm getting calls from a company called vehicleweb telling me they can send customers to visit me this afternoon who will give me £3495 for the vehicle.

Whats the catch?

Reply to
Trevor

How much do they want you to pay them upfront for the service - that will be the catch I suspect?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thats what I'm expecting. I couldn't understand the guy he sounded like a computer speaking. He reckons their customers will turn up with the cash.

Reply to
Trevor

The only way I would consider this at all is if they ask for commission from the sale and then only if it's a reasonable amount, if they ask for money upfront it is a con. If you get no luck try eBay, I recently sold a 1989 Defender 90 V8 there and got £5150 cash!!!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Flippin' Nora! I've used EBay quite a lot to buy and sell. What would it cost to list then?

Reply to
Trevor

They'll either

a) take money up front and do sod all b) send someone round who gives you £3495 for the vehicle by bankers draft, which later turns out to be forged

If I ran a bona fide business doing this, I wouldn't ring a seller and offer him £600 more than he wanted! I'd buy it for £2900 and make the £600 myself!

It sounds too good to be true, so it probably is....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Thats what I told them when they rang. The website certainly looks legit though:

Trevor

"Tim Hobbs" wrote ((snip)) >>

If you get a Bankers Draft handed to you and it's during banking hours then ring your own bank, explain the situation, and ask them to ring the Bank that wrote the Draft to check it's authenticity. My Bank did that immediately and without charge.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Trevor" wrote > Thats what I told them when they rang. The website certainly looks legit

Yes, their cost to list your vehicle is £95.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Then you might like to read this piece

I had a few when I used Autotrader ( a while back) total PIA Derek

Reply to
Derek

Be very careful - if anybody offers you a bank draft upfront be certain its likely to be a scam bank drafts are written specifically to a payee by the bank no open drafts- no one would have one drawn up on spec due to the (swingeing) charges levelled by the bank Knowing banks I would not accept that an assurance that a draft was good unless I got it in writing with an acceptance of liability should it turn out to be fraudulent

Derek

They "can" but they wont. They quote you a way above market value for your vehicle to try and appeal to your wallet but have few, if any, buyers on their database and they certainly wont be paying £3495 for a £2900 vehicle.

You will be out of pocket and nobody will come round to buy your vehicle. You'd have to take them to the small claims court to get your money back.

Reply to
PDannyD

Beware the old adage " a fool and his money are easily parted"

Reply to
Hirsty's

It looks very amateur and seems hell bent on making money via click-throughs to all and sundry, rather than promoting their own product.

9000 visitors is very poor and gives an indication of how many people they really have on their database. If they are cold calling all day that will be 100-200 calls per day per teleseller. If 10% click to their database like you did, then they'll quickly hit 9000 just on people they pissed off by phoning!
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

eBay charge a set fee plus a percentage of the final value, check their site for exact figures. It does seem to work for selling Landies, the key is to write a thorough description including all the good selling points plus a mention of all the areas that are known to be weak spots (eg bulkhead, crossmember etc) and take lots of pics inside and out. This is a link to my old ad, feel free to use it as a template

Good luck

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I told them they were a scam and put the phone down at 1600 yesterday.

Reply to
Trevor

As other posters have pointed out it is simply a scam, and quite a well known one, with several companies around who will try to part you with your money.

I had numerous similar calls when I tried to sell my motorbike last year. When I re-advertised my bike this spring I received more of the same phone calls. In the end I simply took a careful note of the company's name and told the sales person that if I received and more calls from their company then I would report them as a nuisance caller. I never heard from any similar company after that.

Worth a try at least.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Scutt

No it doesnt ....... look at "definition of a match " ie the chargeable element of their service. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver