Seperating series prop shaft

Done my handbrake (that oil seal is the worst oil seal i have ever had to do on anything!) and am now trying to put a new boot on my prop.

How should the sliding joint come apart? I've still got the back of the prop attached to the diff and have been lying on the floor pulling the other end but it doesn't want to come off.

Do i just need to be more brutal with it? or am i missing something? It is now quite extended but i cant see any splines yet. Does the little metal cap need to come off first? and am i likely to need a new one afterwards or are they reusable?

Reply to
Tom Woods

There's a screwed ring (your cap?) on the female part of the shaft. The two parts will not separate and you won't see the splines until that is unscrewed. It retains a (usually) felt oil seal.

Reply to
Dougal

Gotcha. Yes, that sounds like the 'cap' im looking at. Kinda hard to be exact when its covered in dirt and grease and youre working underneath the landy and its not especially bright outside!

Think i'll take the prop off the diff and do it on the bench where i can see.

Is the oil seal re-usable?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Usually