Series 2A clutch conversion

With running costs seeing oil catching up to petrol, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and pull the box out of my late Series 2A.

I have rebuilt the transfer box, using hylomar wherever possible, and replacing all the seals, bearings, and a couple of gears. I'm now starting to pull the gearbox to pieces, and have run into a bit of trouble with my 2A clutch withdrawal unit.

It seems the parts are quite hard to get, and the support bush for the withdrawal sleeve is quite worn. After pricing the pieces I can get so far, it seems that maybe it's worthwhile replacing my clutch with that of a series 3.

I already have a series 3 bellhousing, and withdrawal casing. Other than replacing these, it seems I will have to buy a diaphragm type clutch set, series 3 slave cylinder and hose, and replace the 2A gearbox mainshaft with that of a series 3. I do have the shaft with some old spares, but it looks pretty rough.

Does anybody know what else I will have to replace to achieve what I'm thinking of doing? Also, I'm a little uncertain of whether the series 3 mainshaft will fit in my 2A box. Does anybody know of this for sure?

Anyway, back to the shed now...

Reply to
Dean

I just offered the series 3 bellhousing up to my engine, and it appears that the stud patterns may be different. Should this be right?

Reply to
Dean

...after further research, it seems that my bell housing perhaps isn't for the 4 cyl Landy? Looks like I'll have to hunt a bell housing down too!

Reply to
Dean

I think you have a six-cylinder bellhousing, the studs are virtually the same between SIIA/SIII, possibly there is a locating dowel you have to remove to fit a SIII bellhousing.

Also, what suffix is your SII box? If it's a very early one, suffix A or B you won't be able to fit a SIII bellhousing as the layshaft front bearing is different (as as the gear ratios and a few other things)

Alex

Reply to
Alex