Series 2a oil pressure repeat posting

Not sure my post is going through as the message isn't always coming up on my reader, apologies if it is and the topic is a little boring. I repeat....

Not a worry yet, just a concern.

Oil level middle of the stick. Oil pressure warning light goes out some 2-4 seconds after ignition fires when not started for a couple of days. If I gun the engine before the light goes out there's ever such a slight, more noisy difference in the sound from the engine. On tight turns at speed (eg U-turn to right in a driveway at about 15 mph) or sudden stop when facing downhill the oil light will come on momentarily. Is this a known factor with 2.3 petrols or should I be very very worried? Is the oil pickup pipe in the sump well to the back offside of the engine? That's what you would assume from the characteristics of this syndrome. Is it possible to fit a mini type capilliary Smiths oil pressure gauge to the block and check oil pressure or is there a better method? Should I expect 75psi cold to 50 psi warm on a new motor going to 50-25 on a well used then 25-10 on a motor about to fail. That was the old mini diagnosis, and the A series trasverse also had oil pickup problems on really tight fast turns where you could watch the gauge shoot to zero then recover again.

Eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton

Reply as previously:-

This suggests low oil level. The dipstick should have three marks, Min, Low, Max, and this behaviour is normal for the level between low and min - should be above low for operation on steep slopes. The dipstick or its tube may be incorrect or modified for some reason.

Pretty much central sideways, but behind the oil pump which is, of course, in line with the distributor. The pickup is just in front of the point where the sump bottom starts to come up at the back. (snip)

Yes - I have a tee piece at the filter housing to run both gauge and pressure switch.

Listed pressure is 65psi. In my experience pressure is not a good indication of engine condition for this engine - high indicates problems with pressure limiter, and low indicates filter blocked or worn pump. (snip) JD

Reply to
JD

snip

Thanks, my original posting has no responses to it so thanks for reposting. Useful info. I will keep topped to max then fill to exact capacity on oil change observing the point on the dipstick then. Thanks.

Eddy

Reply to
eddy bayton