Series 2a Towing Weights (Previous threads notwithstanding! :-)

I have read and digested many of the old threads on this subject here, some of which became rather acrimonious! So I'll keep it simple and I don't think this question has been asked. Please no input about tachographs / trailer brakes / driving licenses, I've got that covered!! I understand that old Landrover manuals quote a max.drawbar pull which is more to do with what can be physically moved in 1st low than what can legally be towed (which was probably less of an issue back then). More modern handbooks (and vehicle plates) quote gross train weight. What I want to know is what numbers are generally on the plates attached to the bulkead (or by seats etc.) on 2a or early series 3's? (If they exist) Do they quote this same old-fashioned drawbar pull? Or do they show max axle weights and a gross train weight? If so, what is the usual available trailer weight? It looks worryingly like under 2000kgs from some postings. I was wanting to embark on a 2a project to replace my ageing 2.5 Mits. Pajero, which I'd be willing to argue in court is demonstrably legal to tow 3300kgs from it's vehicle plate. While I don't do it very often, I was hoping a 2a would give me about 3 tonnes legally, is this too much to ask? (P.S. I used to tow large boat trailers and other heavy things many years ago with a 2a so am not really worried about the practicalities of it. I would also be using a more powerful engine, before you ask!) Thanks for any input, Ruaridh.

Reply to
Ruaridh
2 tons (British tons that is) on the bulkhead plate of my series 3

I think it is usually calculated by some formula as to the maximum you can pull from a standing start on a 1 in 8 slope or something like that.

Reply to
Larry

If you accept the figures from the Land Rover Series III Workshop manual see pdf page 26 (04-12 ) on public roads you can tow 3500kg but only with coupled brakes, overrun brakes 2000kg, no brakes 500kg (supply your own Holy Book)

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I read the same but have no idea what "coupled brakes" means, could someone please explain? Greg

Reply to
Greg

Trailer brakes that are directly linked to the towing vehicle's braking system and do not rely on an overrun mechanism to apply the trailer brakes.

Such systems allow the trailer brakes to apply without the trailer having to be decelerated. You can apply the trailer brakes at rest by applying the tow vehicle brake.

Reply to
Dougal

Brakes which operate off the main vehicle brakes - like a lorry trailer.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Ah, I see, but in what form did Land rover expect these to be fitted to a series 3 when they wrote the manual?. Were air brakes some sort of optional extra 8-) Greg

Reply to
Greg

Yes they were :-)

Was looking at a badly messed up 90 truck cab the other month which had air brakes fitted to it. Had it not been perched on top of 3 other vehicles and had I more time I'd have had them....

Most 5th wheel trailers that go behind LRs (not that there are many of them) have air brakes. Americans are very keen on electric brakes on their vehicles, which can also be close coupled.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Is there anything that hasn't been fitted to a Land Rover ?, yes I know, silly question 8-) Greg

Reply to
Greg

Dixon Bate and a firm with scot* in the name made them, I still see some 90s with 5th wheel pulling starter gates for horse racing around.

In theory a 90 with 5th wheel should give the maximum payload for a vehicle in the

Reply to
AJH

The recommended weight though is 2 non metric tons, I suppose that has something to do with the oft quoted caravanners maxim of never towing more than 85% of the kerb weight of the car.

I think the 3.5 metric tonne thing is more of a universal legal requirment without the said air brakes, and I dare say if you fit them there is no reason why you can't pull a road train :) not that you would be going anywhere fast if you did.

I would guess that 3.499999999999999999999999999999999999999 tonnes is legal without even with a robin reliant.

Reply to
Larry

Electric brakes are not acceptable in the UK.

It is amazing actually that production cars in the US could legally tow 40ft airstream trailers with electric brakes, but such a combination would be illegal over here and most of Europe?

Why? I doubt if safety has anything to do with it at all.

Of course if you happen to be a gypo, you can get away with anything.

Reply to
Larry

Certainly in Australia in Series 3 times the norm would have been vacuum brakes rather than air, since you don't need to add a compressor. In about the last twenty years these have been replaced by electric brakes, as these are a lot easier to fit - wires are easier to run than pipes and hoses. JD

Reply to
JD

Actually the manual specifically says 2000kg which is 2 metric tonnes for over-run brakes on-road, the link is here:

it's about half way down the pdf Greg

Reply to
Greg

AIUI the metric and non-metric ton(ne) are virtually the same anyway. Ah yes, UK ton = 2242 lbs, metric tonne = 2202 lbs.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Well, almost. UK ton = 2240 lb metric tonne = 1000 kg = 2204 lb approx

Reply to
Dougal

Interesting discussion.....I knew it would descend into trailer brakes!!!!!! :-) I've decided it's not worth the risk so have had to forget about the free tax and have bought an old D-reg 90 for my project. It's plate clearly shows the 3500kg capacity. Just as a footnote, I wonder about the opinion above from Larry - I've seen this stated a few places but I'm not sure. As I understand it, cars are NOT allowed to tow things that are heavier than them? 4WDs seem to be allowed to tow bigger weights because of the (generally) heavier chassis, suspension, wheels etc. The 3.5 tonne over-run brake limit is sort of a maximum when everything else is covered. But in all cases if a manufacturers maximum is stated this would take precedence. I can't imagine anyone successfully arguing in court that an "interpretation" of the rules that says anything can tow 3500kg would be accepted when a makers plate or instruction book clearly stated 2000kg. This is what I mean about it not being woth the risk. Are others generally in agreement here? Cheers, Ruaridh.

Reply to
Ruaridh