Series 2a value?

I think my ideal vehicle has come up on eBay - a very late, unrestored Series 2a petrol in good condition, "unmolested" in the words of the owner. It's got a lot of history and the seller sounds genuine. It's on 2½ grand at the moment, although I'm sure it will go higher than that. Could anyone give me a guesstimate as to what it might be worth? I have no experience of series vehicles (my earliest LR was an early 90 diesel), so any pointers and pitfalls would be welcome. Auction ends on Tuesday.

I've wanted one of these for a VERY long time, and I haven't seen one this good. Thanks for any observations.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hey , I've seen the auction on ebay aswell , I think it has been restored to the exact spec of the original series 2A and it looks damn nice !! Im not an expert but on the ad's I've looked at for series 2A's there seems to be a distinct price range :

-£400 : Requires alot of work often knackered chassis , no MOT £400-£800 : Half decent ,some with MOT , hard to find one that hasnt been spoiled though. £800-£2000 : Good condition , some with new chassis and other major parts , come in two types : Partly restored to original spec / Used for off roading (some series 3 even defender parts plus raised suspension etc.) £2000+ : Great condition with alot of the restoration work allready done . Back to what you were saying about value , if you take into account the time spent to restore a series 2A , plus the value of parts and also the piece of mind that it isnt (or most probably not) going to break down on you I'd say that £2500 is around the top end of what I'd spend on a series 2A in top nick .However the advert seems to stress the uniqueness of this particular one and to some people this would make it worth more . Hope this is accurate and of help ! Cheers , Max

Max Wilkinson

Thanks for the info. I have seen concours examples going for as much as 8 grand, but this is not one of those. It seems to be an original and tidy example in good running order, which is what I am looking for. With the history and the apparent condition, I think it will go for more than you suggest (it's already gone to 3 grand), but I'm not sure I would want to pay much more than that. There are lots about, but most are either hacked about or very tired and battered. Unmodified and in good condition is quite rare IME, and a vehicle 33 years old that still has the handbook and original tools is even rarer. I think I'll just keep an eye on the auction and make my mind up in the last 2 minutes. ;-)

Cheers

Reply to
Richard Brookman

RIch, if u wanted an unabused 2a all u had to do is ask! You can have mine for 3500? Careful restoration, painstakingly rebuilt, full roll cage, class 2 season winner. Thats got to push the price up surely!?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

In a word, Dave ... bollocks.

Remember, I've seen yours in action.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well, I got it! I've paid a little over 3 grand in the end, but I had a fair bit of credit in my Paypal account from some stuff I sold earlier in the year, so that softened the blow a bit. I haven't collected it yet, as we have a lot of family staying (one of the hazards of living in a nice bit of the world when school holidays come around) and the seller lives about a

12-hour round trip away. I can't possibly justify b*ggering off on a Landy mission right now. SWMBO went loopy when I told her what I had done, so I'll have to wait until next weekend whan things are a bit quieter on the domestic front. I may also have to put in a new kitchen as penance. :-0

Seems a small price to pay. Landies get you like that. I'm hoping it's as good as the description.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I'm hurt! However, i will not take your vehicular insults personally. However, I will wait until you are in need of 2a spare and then enjoy the spectacular grovelling that ensues!

In all seriousness, well chuffed for you. And if you need a hand going to get it then, give me a shout.

I've got a load of little bits like wiper motors and dials etc that were going to be chucked so i'll hang on to them for a bit! Hopefully though sounds like you shouldn't be needing them for a while. I'll keep my eye out for a soft top for ya!

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Thanks for the offer Dave - I'll give you a ring during the week.

(A big sparkly one. No, dammit......)

Yeah, hang onto the spares for a bit. There's a few weeks of shakedown trials to come.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nice use of the word "shakedown". This is a word that I think you will be using alot with Series 2 ownership. Can I have a drive?

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) wrote

Yes, if you're very good...

(Chorus of young Pembrokeshire females: "He is!")

OK then.

;-)

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

cool, will look forward to it then! Theres an engine/box/t.box down the farm somewhere i'll drag it out and put in the barn.

Have a safe trip on Sat and keep me informed.......

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

On or around 11 Aug 2004 04:10:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Richard Brookman) enlightened us thusly:

bah. 's all right for some. you got any spare?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry, no. Wherever I go, all the decent totty seems to have vanished into thin air, and when I catch up with Dave, there they all are. It does get frustrating, I agree. But I'm not bitter.

Reply to
Richard Brookman