Series 3 Diesel Engine Idle Problem

Just bought a series 3 diesel .... yes I know they are slow !!!! but it was cheap good and has overdrive

Have a problem that someone on here will have had before ........

When cold i have to use the hand throttle to raise the idle speed otherwise it stalls .....it is ok when warmed up and will idle ok on the injector pump stop setting. When it is very hot ..... like in London traffic ... the idle speed intermittantly drops and will pick up to normal if i blip the throttle.

Is this a problem with the speed governor in the injector pump ?? All other diesels I have had (Merc Estate is the latest one) idle at the same speed hot or cold and dont need a speed boost when cold. Otherwise the engine runs well and doesnt smoke and returns about 29 to the gallon on a run with the overdrive in.

Any thoughts guys and galls ??

Gromit

Reply to
Rubberboy