Series 3 doors on a Defender?

Wotcher all, ISTR that series 3 doors go onto a Defender without difficulty, can anyone confirm that's right and if so, if the Defender hinges can be used instead of the series 3 hinges? I think the series 3 striker plate will be needed too but otherwise it's a straight fit, is that right?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think your reasoming is correct, they are definitely the same profile and, as you say, with the right striker plates they will fit.

Reply to
Oily

Yep. just the striker plate needs swapping, the doors hinges etc fit the same hole. Likewise, you can put later 90/110 doors on a Series, if you want the added security of anti burst latches. Check the door rubber/draught seal though, sometimes they don't quite work when you change the doors, or refit the originals...

Cheers.

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV

Thanks both, I've got a chap looking out for some for me. What about limiting straps or whatnot to stop the door opening too far, do they have them, will they fit, and I wonder if I want them anyway!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You definitely want them. I did it the other way round, with a Defender door on a series 3 .. we cut a leather belt up to make a check strap as the first time we came to a stop, door opening, it creased quite badly .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Series door seals never work. Its a design feature, to let the water back out again after wading

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Defender door seals work for about three months...

Reply to
William Black

I don't care what sort of feature it is supposed to be. Right now, shortly after battling my way 300 miles through a serious amount of rain (200mm worth whilst I was travelling) in a IIa I'm somewhat over leaks and definitely going to put effort into an improved windscreen wiper setup. I'd forgotten how totally s**te SATs are on wet tarmac too.

Reply to
EMB