Series 3 Flasher unit

Hi, Looking at the Haynes wiring diagram for my 1981 series 3 the flasher unit should only have 2 wires connected to it. But looking at the flasher unit installed it has 4 wires attached to it.

The new 2 pin flasher unit I bought won't work with the Dark green and light green wires as stated in the manual.

Anyone any ideas of what the other 2 wires do 1 black and 1 brown......

Cheers Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

could do with the numbers off the old flasher relay i.e. the terminal numbering Rich

Reply to
Rich

Adrian Ford came up with the following;:

I took my old flasher unit to Halfords, found something identical ... with full instructions included on the packet ... ;)

ISTR that the four wire relay was for extra lighting, such as for the towbar electrics or a rear worklamp etc.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

could be for trailer electrics, but i doubt you'd wire a worklamp to a flasher unit, except if you wanted a strobe-light work lamp! coud make for some interesting camps.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Samuel came up with the following;:

LOL, I was also thinking of something else at the time I wrote it ... Multi-tasking not my forte, it seems. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

brown......

Cheers all Will take back the 2 pin flasher and exchange it for a 4 pin..

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

At least it proves you're not female. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

vehicle wiring products have a good selection of flasher units if you wanted to look at them and try to find one that matches your old one.

Reply to
Tom Woods