Series 3 loss of drive in high range

On the way to drop the kids off at school in the Series 3, as I changed in to 4th gear I heard a crunch and lost all drive. Having read somewhere to try it in low range, it went and I got them to school even though it was much slower than before. What's happened?

Reply to
Nikki

probably something in the rear driveline prop,diff halfshafts or the drive flanges putting it into low range engages drive to the front wheels

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:24:22 +0000, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

's broken, innit.

sounds like a transfer box problem, though it could be a rear axle problem as well - does it go with the yellow knob down (i.e. 4WD high range)?

if so, suspect the axle, could be a half-shaft. if it's only going in low range, then it's more likely the transfer box

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just an after thought does the speedo still work in Hi range if not then as Aystin says it's transfer box if it does then go for the back axle ignore what I said about the propshaft you'd know if it was the prop as you would either hear it belting the crap out of the underside or you would have leap frogged(sp?) over two or three cars in front of you

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Sorry Austin for the name change

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

My money is on a rear half shaft having popped. If this is the case then you will find that if it's put back in Hi Ratio the handbrake will be ineffective.

The other question is have you got free wheeling hubs fitted at the front and if so are they on for 4x4 (hope so!) otherwise I'm well confused.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Not tried it. I was half way round the island at the top of Saffron Lane at the time and just wanted to get the car out of the way. All I did was pull the red lever towards me and it went. Didn't and haven't even touched the yellow knob. We have free wheeling hubs also and they were in the 4x4 mode rather than the 2x4.

Reply to
Nikki

Nothing like that. A crunch and then it just wouldn't move the car forward. Tried all four gears and nothing.

Reply to
Nikki

Last time such a thing happened in one of my cars it turned out to be a totally destroyed gearbox (LT77)

Take care and hope it is easy and cheap to repair. Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Yes we have free wheeling hubs, and they were in 4x4 mode when the crunch happened. All I did was pull the lever with the red knob towards me and put it into 1st gear and it went.

Reply to
Nikki

So do I. Bruce still hasn't decided if we should sell the Disco or replace the engine and is round the back with all the front valance and bull bar off.The dent has been removed from the valance, cleaned up etc and the plastic stuff removed from the bullbar, trated with some anti-rust stuff and re-painted with some black paint. As for the Range Rover its just having its lights sorted out as Bruce thinks there is a bad earth somewhere as we have one side that works when it feels like it. Had to get Grandad to take me to fetch the kids this afternoon.

Reply to
Nikki

bad luck nikki

same same on my S3 a few weeks back. havent got round to investigating as ive had a drudge of a cold so i ve been pottering around in 4WD. shocking fuel consumption but much easier on the steering and makes a very satisfying agricultural din. oh yeah in 2WD speedo works but no motion.

its drifted back into 2WD on start up once but a good old rummage of the levers has seen it right.

in fact it was the group that got me going again so once again tks for that folks!

other amazing thing is a half shaft costs seventeen quid (autopost) . . . gobsmacked at price. ive paid more for a chainring for a mountain bike!

ted

Reply to
teddave

Nikki Hi again,

just read the first post. It sounds more like a problem with the transfer box than with the gearbox especially since you have drive with the low gear engaged.

As for the other Landies being "planted" I can only say that I hope they get soon on the road (and off) soon.

Since the bullbar is off and the plastic covering has been removed why don't you opt for galvanizing it? This is the best way to assure that rust will not appear in the future no matter how wet or muddy it gets.

When I restored both my camels I galvanized the bullbars (and the other ferous bits that were removed) and nothing has rusted again despite living and parking the cars at less than 5 meters away from the seashore.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Happened 3 times to us in Iceland - 1 LT77, and the same LT95 twice! Nice quote from Mrs Brookwell (of Brookwell's, our spares sponsor): "But the LT95 is unbreakable. You haven't been letting the students drive it, have you?"

Reply to
David French

You can take an intact half-shaft out without removing the wheel, since it goes _through_ the wheel hub to engage with that casting bolted to the outside end. Or the freewheel hub.

Getting a broken half-shaft out is more difficult. It may need the hub to be removed and you have the get some grip on the broken end, somehow.

Since the half-shafts are sided -- different lengths -- you need to find which is broken before you order. You can run with the broken shaft removed, but I wouldn't recommend running for any distance with the broken shaft in the axle. There's also been some differences in the nunber of splines.

Replacing the shaft is one of those awkward long-distance threading operations.

Not many domestic garages are wide enough for the Land Rover _and_ the half-shaft.

Reply to
David G. Bell

david

tks for the warning! this is going to be my first foray into vehicle repair so prepare for some cursing.

i know it isnt the same but i just rebuilt a '64 moulton bicycle. a healthy regard for a big hammer and a pair of molegrips is now mine: 40 year old bolts, trashed screw heads, rusted solid axles. . . i suspect its all going to be very familiar by the end of the year!

i feel i am ready. . . well as ready as ill ever be!

ted

Reply to
teddave

You've answered my next question concerning will i do further damage by driving it as you have been driving yours.

It was probably where I read about trying the low range.

Reply to
Nikki

Its painted and ready to go back on. I don't think he thought of that. Its something to keep in mind if we get a replacement engine for the Disco and keep it, and it ever need doing again.

Nust be nice to live somewhere like that. I'm in Leicester and its pretty central, with over 100 miles before you get to any beach. The water trust at Husbands Bosworth is probably just as enjoyable for the kids though and not too far. Good campsite right next to the lake, which is fed from an underground spring - just very cold even in the summer.

Reply to
Nikki

hi nikki

re. continued driving: i dont think its the best idea in the world. just come back from a ten mile round trip and on the way there all i could think was 'not good idea'.

rtn trip was softened by a fine glass of vino and all i could think was 'gee this is great. . .kerrchunk. . . kerrchunk. . . kerrchunk '

i really think a clapped out S3 is about as good as it gets for london driving. short of hitting an artic not much is going to damage and, well who cares about the paintwork! i feel really confident going slowly safe in teh knowledge that if someone tries to undertake they're going to do themselves a host of damage. very relaxing and put paid to all my stupid boy racer habits!

still repair time i think!

ted

Reply to
teddave

Bruce is going to get it round the back tomorrow and get the Disco out. I'll be OK to take the RR tomorrow when I take the kids as I only need to indicate left once(left hand side light unit is off)and its at a junction. Still got a brake light working on one side;-)

I hat driving in London. Done it a few times when I've visited friends on the way to my Mums house in Sittingbourne. The best trip ever was before we even had a Land Rover and I went in the Jag. The auto gearbox made it so much more pleasant than on other occassions.

Bruce's comment when I told him what had happened was "Sometimes I really wish I'd stuck to having a Jag." He then went a fetched the repair manual and has been reading it for the past 45 minutes;-)

Reply to
Nikki