Series 3 not starting... update

All,

Right, i've confirmed everything is working correctly... Fuel is getting to the engine. The ignition is sparking as i've managed to get the motor is cough into life a couple of times but won't run. The valves arn't sticking and i'm getting a decent compression because when i manually turn the engine while pushing my finger into the spark plug holes (on all cyclinders) i can't turn the crank any further by hand on the compression stoke.

Andrew i'm going to have to call on the help that you most kindly offered. I think there something really silly that i'm missing, its probably something screaming at me but i can't see the wood for the trees. What i really can't understand is that nothing (timing wise) had changed since the last time i run the Old Girl.

Lesson for all keep your Land Rover running its less grief in the long run.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Jenkinson

I ussed to find that the point were favorite. A quick whizz over with emery paper used to sort them. I guess they oxidise up. While you may get a spark it could be too weak to be of use. I accept you may have already covered this but it happend so many times to me in the past between projects I thought it worth of reiteration. I also moved over to elctronic ignition across the fleet because I dislike points with such a passion.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Also just noticed you mention fitting a new vacume pipe. Check the dizzy isn't loose which would reult in minor movement in fiting the pipe and knocking the timing out.. this would tie in with your symptoms of trying to start but not quite. Also conside disconnecting the vaume pipe. If it was tuned previously to run whilst sucking air through the old perished pipe it may now be running too rich if you see what I mean.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Adrian,

Give me a call on 020-8402-0355 and we'll set something up.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just a thought, but are you getting power to the ignition when your not cranking it over on the startermotor. You mentioned that it had coughed into life a couple of times but wouldnt run......Does it stop running as soon as you let go of the key?

I'm not upto speed on landrovers as yet (give me some time to get one), but, I do know something about vehicles in general, so I will give you a general suggestion.

If the series 3 is like most other petrol engines (with distributors) you should find that there is an inline resistor of sorts (its there to help stop the coil burning out) . Sometimes this resistored supply to the coil becomes damaged and so the engine will 'run' while its on the starter motor but dies as soon as you let go. To test this out try fitting a small 12 volt bulb between the coil supply and ground , it should be bright when your cranking the engine over and dim once you let go of the key (If you have a voltmeter it should be (if memory serves me correctly) about 9 volts with the ignition on and approximately battery voltage when cranking.)

Hope this helps

johnty

Reply to
johnty

Hi

try checking the ignition timing. I once had a series one where the distributor drive turned itself through 180 degrees after going over a bump. It shouldn't happen being a D shaped drive but wear and tear......

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker