Series 3 RHD 2.25 Petrol. Hazard Flasher Wiring headache

Hi - new to this forum. Nightmare with the electrics on my late S3 RHD Petrol. Just getting ready for MOT - all looking sweet but hazards wouldn't work - got a new relay ( halfords HF203) exactly as previous( whihc worked fine ), still no go. Checked fuses / connections etc. Turn signals / everything else works OK EXCEPT for the washer / wipers. Problem is I can't find a decent wiring diagram that also shows the hazards. The haynes manual is not the same as mine and I have struggled here / on google.

Does anyone have a decent WD, if not could somone confirm correct collours for the wash / wipe switch / hazard and turn flasher unit? It looks like someone has hacked into the loom under the dash at some point ( poss trailer socket wiring)and I reckon that there are a few extra wires up front that are confusing the issue.

Anyone had a similar problem - know what I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Gobbo

Reply to
gobbo

Interesting - none of my S3 wiring diagrams show a hazard function but they may not be recent enough. Has someone added it later? Judging by the other things that you report someone has been having a ball. It's going to be back to basics, I'm afraid.

Hazard switches usually have two power supplies - an ignition controlled one for the indicators (which is obviously present and correct) and a permanent supply for the hazards. My first step would be to find out if this permanent supply exists - I'd guess that it does not, otherwise start looking for a hazard switch fault.

The S3 wiper/washer is usually fed from the same fuse as the indicators.

Assuming that your e-mail address is valid I'll send wiring diagrams for the last S3 that I have (no hazards) and an early 90 (with hazards).

Reply to
Dougal

Buggered hazard light switch is the most likely culprit.

Reply to
EMB

Cool

Thanks chaps

email address is still valid. Would appreciate those WD's afternoon sesh with the multimeter I reckon...

Cheers

Gob

EMB wrote:

Reply to
gobbo

You should have e-mail.

Reply to
Dougal

If it's owt like the IIa , 101 and Early Classic Rangies then give the fuses a good wiggling whilst in there holders.

It's been the route of most electrical gremilins I found.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks all for the help - now sorted...

Gobbo

Lee_D wrote:

Reply to
gobbo

gobbo uttered summat worrerz funny about:

What was it in the end?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D