Series 3 wiring

Short story for you,

I'm a part time fireman in Essex, close to the M11, car fires are popular round here, had a call yesterday to car fire in the next village, we pulled up behind a lovely fully restored series 3, smoke coming from inside no flames so not major, the sub got me to have a look, one of the other lads is trying desperately to find the bonnet catch "in the cab" to disconnect the battery ,soon put him right on this, anyway traced the smoke to a large mess of melted plastic in the dashboard.

The lady driver then tells us the CD player had been fitted by her son earlier that day along with a cigarette lighter, it amazed me how he done this, he had taken the positive from the auxiliary power point into he dashboard, connected this to the lighter, from this piggy backed off to the nice shiny CD player and changer, this was all done with what looked like 5 amp wire not a fuse in sight, we pulled all the melted wiring out, suggested she have it wired in correctly perhaps by someone who knows what they are doing and send her on her way.

Good job this wasn't on the drive overnight or another Landy could have been on the scrapheap.

Reply to
murph

Twas Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:09:34 -0000 when "murph" put finger to keyboard producing:

oops, lesson learned I hope.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Ooh, there's a nice big terminal there to attach a wire to, itsn't that handy!

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive Landrovers, let alone fiddle with them.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Same goes for the previous owner of a series 3 that I'm working on for a friend of mine, spots connected via a switch from the instrument lighting behind the dash, not a fuse or relay in sight! Melted insulation causing some weird indicator repeater light operations, normal sense with lights off, reversed left to right with lights on! Interior light wired to dash power plugs using green/yellow industrial earth cable!!! Some people shouldn't be allowed screwdrivers!!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Mind you, Landrover are just as bad sometimes. Why do the test sockets have no fuse in the first place? And why on Series II/IIa is it acceptable for the headlamps and several other major components to be unfused?

Alex

Reply to
Alex