Series door rubber from the roll?

Hi,

I (again) wonder which type of door rubber I should fit on my IIa 109 Station Wagon? I tried a genuine and encountered problems because the holes for the rivets in the body and in the door seals did not match. The result was an awful lot of work with the riveter and a driver side door which refused to get shut because of the misfiting door seals. I had to cut a decent amount of seal nearby the windscreen away to get the door just closed. Now I am thinking about buying one of the door seals sold from the roll (Paddock and so on) But I am not sure how they should be fitted (glued or rivetted) and if they then let the doors be shut and at least try to keep the water out of the cabin ;)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

The only problem we have found with off the roll door rubber is that it doesnt have the metal insert so as you rivit it, it pulls in too much and leaves gaps. I suppose if you glue it tho that wont happen ! Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have a landrover 90 1984 which has the same problem of leaking I got an idea how it gets in. I have just recently put new seals around the frame to prevent but didn't stop it. Have a look at your channel drain around for blockage and look at the join of the roof to windscreen frame.

regards same problem john

Raoul D> Hi,

Reply to
John Nicholas Oakes

Being a cheapskate, and not wanting to spend £20 for LR seals for one door (S2A), I had a look around a scrapyard, and got one complete seal from a Ford Transit drivers door for £2.You need to remove the old seal and plate, then fit the 'new' one after cutting the stips to size.It needs a good hammering at times to get it on solid, and it sticks out more than the original seal, but it is possible to get a good seal with a little bit of patience.Part of the problem is the very poor alignment of my 35 year old doors, I'm sure it would be better if I took them apart and bent them back flat and reassembled them, but its one of the things I can put up with. Alan.

Reply to
A.lee

You need the gaps round the doors to allow the condensation running off the roof to escape, you will soon drown otherwise!

Reply to
SimonJ

I have just got some off the roll seal from Paddocks, but it looks insubstantial... No metal for rivetting through, so its stayed in the box, and I've kicked to the back of the garage as next to useless.

A previous type I have used is the now standard door seal sets for a defender, (90/110). It was advised to me that I grind or cut the slight lip off the door surround to get the seal on, (as it just clips on over the metal edge), but found I did not have to resort to this method. I simply spent some time 'forming' it onto the frame... Its fine and half the price of original seal with metal strips.

Reply to
zoom