series gearbox diagnosis required

hiya mates series 2a box had a bit of a peculiar fault the other day, ive never come across it, so im asking here to see if anyone here has,,,

he was running around in his 1969 109 for ages, sort of round town driving, no problems,

then he went on the motorway the other day and did a constant 65 mph for about 20 or so miles, when he came off the m/way he couldnt de-select 4th gear, he says it was solid, neither could he take the overdrive out of gear. he stopped at the slip road junction and the clutch disengaged drive ok but he couldnt select any gear other than the one it was already in.He said he could smell hypoid oil in the cab.

he got home and left the landy a while, when it cooled down everything was fine, lost a bit of oil but he topped it up and has been driving around town for a week now ( not literally mind) with no problems.

what can be causing this problem, it obviously only happens when the oil and box get hot.

hes running a transit 2.5 diesel with a series 2/2a box ( no synchro on 1st and 2nd)

any ideas....

andy

Reply to
dave

Some of it could just be series landrover gearboxes in general! - They do do wierd things sometimes.

The gearbox on my mates 2A used to do funy things like that occasionally - a couple of times he got stuck in a gear and all he could do was stick with it or stop and wait for a while - after which it usually came back (not sure if the overdrive was in or out at the time). He had me on my way out to give him a tow home one time before he rang me to cancel as it had started working again. Each time we did it we though it was the end of the gearbox but it just kept going! . Eventually we took the box out (to replace it along with the engine). When we took the overdrive off, we found that the shaft the overdrive connects to (is this the mainshaft?) was actually snapped in 2! It was a jagged break and it must have stayed together while the overdrive was on, but once we took it out, half the shaft just fell out! It was quite impressive that it was still working (relatively) OK. This landy had both been agressively off roaded and driven down the motorway at high speed not long before.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Doing remote gearbox diagnosis is always a bit tricky, but the first thing I'd have a look at is the detent springs/balls. These can be looked at with the gearbox in situ by removing the top cover - just

*don't drop anything into the box!*. You may be lucky and all it is a dodgy spring and/or ball. Assuming the clutch really is releasing, the next suspect would be the selector forks. You can see a bit of these with the cover off, and it is feasible to take them out with the box in place (dammed fiddly getting them back in though!). A very worn selector could be your problem.

After that, if your certain that all the external type things are ok, then its time to start thinking about a strip-dowm.

Just another thought...... Series boxes do have a habit of deciding, for no obvious reason, to stick with one gear selected and no amount of swearing/hitting/blaming the wife will allow the current gear to be deselcted and even neutral found. All of a sudden things go back to normal and it may never happen again. It could be that!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

but possable without lumping the box out. Got mine from >paddocks. Order a couple more than you need, They are (were) >cheep.

Reply to
ricepudding