series gearbox overhaul ---there may be trouble ahead

but whilst theres daylight and spanners.............

anyway......

i was after a recon gearbox, but i was a bit uneasy spending 300 pounds on a box which i have no idea as to how "reconditioned" it actualy is.

then i thought of getting one second hand, but then again how long will it last, and how worn will it be, as most box`s ive done oil changes on, the oil comes out resembling copper hammerite, and strange things usualy come from the drain hole.

so,,, to be sure of what im getting, i thought the only way is to build one myself, ive got one in bits and one together, the one thats together has the 1st and second syncro busted and 1 tooth missing from somewhere.

how difficult will it be for me to strip the box down and renew worn bits and renew all the bearings, and as a ball park figure how expensive is doing this, i thought if i spent 150 pounds to get a good box then ive saved on a recon.

another problem is, ive no idea how gears should look so how do i know if their worn, i take it no gear in the series box has pointed ends(top of the tooth goes to a point) i take it this is excessive wear and has to be renewed.

should i renew anything else as a matter of course, and are there any pitfalls i should look out for.

thanks in advance

andy

Reply to
Andy

I spent about ZAR3500 on redoing my Santana box in SerIII R6. That is probably not far shy of your UKP300. This only involved new bearing and seals as the Sanata Gears are well neigh indestructable. It is quite a fiddly business and you will need a good workshop mannual, certainly better than a Haynes. You will also need to be familiar with terms like end float and such, as well as having the tools to measure same.

Otherwise not too difficult.

REgards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

If your renewing the 1st/2nd cluster, you might as well renew the

3rd/4th cluster at the same time. Ideally you should be changing the bearings in it at the same time. It's quite a complex job to do an overhaul of a gearbox, and may well require the use of a press to get bearings in/out, which is not something you will be able to do at home, or at least without difficulty. You will also need to set the endfloats etc on the box, which will require shims etc, buying all the available sizes of which will rack the cost up - a gearbox reconditioner will have all the sizes to hand off the shelf, you'll have to buy em.

There are very few jobs I can't do on a Landrover, jobs requiring heavy machinery, like reboring, but even I havn't attempted to do a main gearbox before, it seems easier and a lot quicker to buy a recon from a reputable company.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

so whos reputable,?

does anyone know what paddocks recon box`s are like.?

and will recon box`s have new bearings installed?

thanks for replies

andy

Reply to
Andy

I would recommend Mastora (Tel: 01665 606745)

Got mine from them no problems and no leaks after a year. I think they are the people who are supplying recon boxes for the series 3 owners club.

Regards

Liam

Liam

I have no idea if Cambs Transmissions (*) still advertise in the small ads of LRO but . . . . . they 'overhauled' the main and transfer gearboxes in my 83 RRC when it started jumping out of reverse in low ratio. They also supplied a heavy duty clutch. Sounded like a good deal for around £600. Result: Transfer box OK as far I could tell but the main box had been assembled without the detent balls and springs on the selector mechanism so that it would come out of gear as I moved from drive to overrun. I say without as I never found the springs and balls despite draining the oil and a great deal of probing with a magnet. When I rang them up they denied omitting them from the rebuild - how could I prove otherwise? I say that the Transfer box was OK, well it was certainly never short of clean oil as I had to top it up every five hundred miles owing to the oil being pumped from transfer box into main box. Oh and about a year after I got it back the clutch pinion pushed through the clutch operating arm. That cost £400 to fix including a genuine HD clutch to replace the Renault one that had been fitted because 'it's a Peugeot engine and the Rover clutch won't fit'' B*******s as the original RR flywheel had been fitted to the Peugeot engine. Other than that it was money well spent.

Warwick 4x4 (I think it was them anyway) fitted an overdrive unit and new gearbox to a friend 110 station wagon (is that the thing with 16 seats) that vibrated like a very vibrating thing and leaked oil like a sieve. Took ages and a lot of money to resolve. He reckoned he would have been better off having his box overhauled (and the OD fitted)

  • I think that was their name

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage