series gearbox woes ( again)

hiya

decided to try swapping the transfere box on my noisel 2a box, question is....

1, are series 3 and 2a transfere boxs interchangeable.

2, how difficult a job is it to do in situ?

tested the box with the transfere lever in neutral and there wasnt any noticeable noise, as soon as i pop it in to high 2 wheel drive and set of, it screams, So i summize the water in the box for 3 years didnt realy do it any favours.

other than that it looks like i have a brand new series vehicle. MOT next. then the first real journey is to our clubs event at HOLLYMOORSIDE, its the first time ill be afraid of hitting any trees, so i guess ill not be too adventurous.

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes and no. The clutch plate & release mechanisim is different between the two. The fixing holes for the bellhousing are in the same place, so it will bolt on. Ideally you're going to need a S3 flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and the gearbox. I don't know wether a S3 pressure plate has the same fixing holes as a S2, although the diameter of the plate is different so they may well be. As you're using a differnt engine, you may need to drill/tap new mounting holes in your flywheel for the S3 pressure plate, it depends on how it was fitted in the first place, I suppose. The only thing you definitly will need to change is the clutch hose/piping as the slave cylinder is on the opposite side of the gearbox.

A bit more difficult than changing a gearbox, but a simple swap is always simpler, and less trouble

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The transfer box has nothing to do with the clutch or bellhousing. I can't answer Alex's question but Alex can safely ignore Andy's posting as somewhere a couple of wires seem to have got crossed.

Reply to
EMB