Series grinding its teeth....

Hi all, After a couple of miles or when engine warms up i start having grinding in the gearbox when i am changing gears especially third to fourth.Can change gear ok just grinds and its ok when in gear.

Is this gearbox or clutch problems has anyone any ideas thanks?

(Series 3 2.25 1981 5bearing(red) engine,plenty of oil in gearbox )

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

Sounds like worn synchros in the gearbox.

Reply to
SimonJ

Mine also gets crunchy as it gets warm. Takes about 30mins or 15miles in mine.

Why is it only evident when it gets warm? Im no gearbox expert but how do the syncros change as they get warmer? Id have thought that they would be pretty much either working all the time or not working all the time.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is it something to do with the gear oil when it gets warm it thins if so is there a thicker type oil i could put in the gearbox . Just a thought!

Reply to
Adrian Ford

On or around Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:52:55 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

synchros are bascially a friction drive, in some form or another. could be that when the oil gets warm, the friction is less frictiony.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:42:04 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

"Synchronizers are used in manual transmissions in automobiles built since about 1960 to ease shifting gears by synchronizing the teeth speed prior to engagement. They allow the toothed collar and the gear to be brought to the same rotational speed before the teeth make contact. They consist of a soft metal (usually brass) cone attached to the gear that makes frictional contact with a cone-shaped cavity in the collar before the teeth are engaged."

from the wikepedia thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:46:59 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

awww. yer too kind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Where did that come from?. If you dont like the way usenet works then there are plenty of moderated web forums who would surely love to have you!

Those articles were intersting Paul. I'm gonna take my old gearbox to bits sometime and see whats in it. I never really understand stuff properly until i've take it apart to look at it and give it a poke.

I now want to get a gear knob like this one:

Tom Woods

Its that hat! ;-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tea , white , none.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:59:09 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

any time yer passing, call in. better phone first, at that, or summat, otherwise I'd be bound to be out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ditto - anyone visiting Auckland, New Zealand is welcome for a cup of tea, if not dinner once you've made the trek this far. And if you arrive via Landrover there's even a mechanic available.

As an aside, does anyone know anything of 3 women (probably from the British Midlands) who drove a series 2 through the Middle East, Asia and on to Australia about 1960?

Reply to
EMB