Series handbrake using the rear drums

Hi, Is it possible / easy / worthwhile to convert the handbrake to operate the rear drums instead of the propshaft? Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's always going to be possible but it's down to how far your willing to push the project. Given that construction and use regs in the UK won't allow a hydraullic handbrake setup unless you can find Brake components from anonther vehicle it would be a minor nightmare to set up.

If you converted to discs then I guess that it would be simpler than the drum conversion... The exisiting bobbins in the hub are tight enough as it is.

HTH

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Thanks! Jon

Reply to
Jon

I've wondered about this as well. But only 'cos I want to replace an old trailer axle, and use landrover stub axle/hubs on the replacement. But it will mean the brakes would have to be converted to cable operation. Anyone got any idea how it could be done? I think some of the series 2's had rear brake cyl components from the Rover P4 cars, complete with blanked off handbrake parts. Can anyone confirm this? Or is there a better way.

John

Reply to
John

similar to LWB wheel cylinders , but have a wedge type expander in them to operate a handbrake using a rod linkage and compensator. Dont expect the parts to be at Landrover prices though. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Just an idea... My SIII is in bits at the moment, so I'm just making sure that I'm doing everything I can whilst I have full access to everything. Jon

Reply to
Jon

If you find out, let me know - same idea. I have thought of making mechanical expanders, but looks like a lot of work! However, P4 car parts will be scarce as hens teeth - very rare car here. JD

Reply to
JD

Why not adapt a mechanical expander from a Landrover transmission brake. I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity it could be made to fit rear shoes.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Good idea, I'll have a look at it - should have a couple of spares around. JD

Reply to
JD

Sounds like the same system as the P4s have. I've posted a scan from the manuals here for comparison .

the series2 scan is poor quality, but you can see the blanking piecepart 19.
would only need a few little bits fabricating, and a series2 owner couldhave two hand brakes, one on the wheels, and one on the transmission. Orfiddle brakes on the rear wheels :-)No good for S2a or S3 owners though , completely different brakes.Cheers John

Reply to
John

I agree with Alex, I think the transmission brake expander is the way to go, but how does its length compare with a 2a or 3 brake cylinder ?

John

Reply to
John

Shouldn't matter. It'll be going on at the opposite end to the wheel cylinder, so it'd be the length compared to what's already there that you'd be worried about. There's probably enough material on the wedges that you could skim them off and make the whole thing shorter if necessary, not sure how easy it'd be to make it longer though.

Andrew

-- SIII 88" | Member of Club Land Rover Ireland | |

Andrew Harton

I guess anything is possible, but you would have to ask why? I can see no possible advantage, (except that the handbrake is still effective if one wheel is jacked - and you should use chocks anyway) and it has the disadvantage that it makes the operating cables liable to damage by sticks etc. You would have to find a car with similar brakes but with rear wheel handbrake (I assume you are talking about a Series), possible something like a 3l Rover, and transplant the entire rear brakes. JD

Reply to
JD

In article , JD writes

With the handbrake on the rear prop, it still works with a wheel jacked (or even either end) if you put it into 4wd, anyway.

Reply to
John Halliwell

If you remember to engage the front hubs.............. JD

Reply to
JD