Series IIa, 2.5 110 petrol engine, Clutch Gone

Its a IIa, Series 3 gearbox with I think a IIa bellhousing & a series III gearbox! I did the engine swap years ago and someone else swapped the IIa gearbox out after that. When I first put the engine in I had to extend the rod from the clutch slave to allow the clutch to operate properly.

Assuming its still got the IIa clutch release etc what's the best combination of pressure plate & clutch to fit?

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Seems strange that someone would go to the trouble of changing the bellhousing on a III box for a IIa one, when they mount the same to the engine. I'm presuming you have some strange engine in this? Which side is the clutch release slave cyliinder on. If it's the Drivers side, mounted vertically then yes, it's a IIA, if its passenger side, mounted horizontally then you have III.

I'd say you need the release bearing to match the release mechanism, The pressure plate will probably be IIa, and the clutch plate will have to be too. If it's a III bellhousing then I suspect the plates will be III as well. You won't be able to fit a III clutch to a IIA pressure plate, the later clutch is a larger diameter. If it has a III pressure plate then a III clutch is sensible, the smaller one is illogical.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Perhaps they didnt have an angle grinder handy (you have to chop away some of the crossmember to get the s3 clutch to fit), or just had a stock of 2a clutches so wanted to stick with it? :)

Is it that hard to change a bellhousing?, cant be much more than just a few bolts and a simple gasket can it?.

It took me ages to work out why my gearbox wouldnt fit in my landy before i worked out that i had to cut some chassis away so it would all line up.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Except that the bellhousing contains the mainshaft input bearing, input shaft, layshaft bearing and primary pinion gear. The layshaft constant gear also drops out. It's not a simple swap job.

Alex

Reply to
Alex