Series III differentials

I am told that early Range Rover 3.5:1 diffs will slot straight into SIIIs, to replace their 4.7:1 diffs, with huge improvement to road gearing. Has anyone done this, or got any comments or experiences to share?

Ta in advance,

SFHL

Reply to
SFHL

They will go straight in. "Improvement" is a relative term - the gearing will be too tall for 2¼ Diesel (unless you live in Norfolk), and a 2¼ Petrol will struggle a bit. Off-road you will be going down (steep) hills too fast in low first.

It suits some people, but not others. Personally I'd rather have an overdrive and give myself the choice - the overdrive gives a similar change in ratio in 4½.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

replace their 4.7:1 diffs,

comments or experiences to share?

I've got a pair in Bruce with 31-10.50 x15 tyres obviously it raises the gearing at 60mph the speedo reads

43 ish give or take 10 mph for the wavering needle problem is off road it struggles in low box
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:52:58 +0100, "SFHL" enlightened us thusly:

depends on what you mean by "improvement". It raises the gearing considerably. Fine if that's what you want, and yes, so far as I know, they're a straight swap, provided you have the 10-spline type. You have to do both front and back or things will break when you try to use 4WD, and you can't swap one in a salisbury axle if that's what you happen to have, or rather, you can't use a rangie one. The 110 has salisbury axle (or some do) and 3.54:1 diff though, so that should fit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Swapping sailsbury diffs is not a simple task like changing Rover/ENV diffs tho.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:34:21 GMT, Alex enlightened us thusly:

did I say it was? :-)

however, it's the only reasonable solution if you have a salisbury axle. Probably get someone else to do it who knows how.

Mind, there's all this talk of a special tool to stretch the axle casing so as to get the diff out. The actual widening of the hole that results is minimal, AIUI. What I don't know is why people don't instead attack the thing with an angle grinder to make the hole wider.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The differential carrier bearings are preloaded by the amount the casing has to be stretched to remove the assembly, so making the hole wider would destroy any hope of correctly adjusting the differential. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:11:49 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

aha. I knew there'd be a good reason, just didn't know what it was. Salisbury axles seem to be pretty much unbreakable, so I've never had occasion to look at one.

and FWIW, I wouldn't want 3.54:1 diffs in my series 3. Overdrive would perhaps make for more relaxed cruising, but I'd not want to lose the low gears.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks, guys: your informed comments much appreciated.

SFHL

Reply to
SFHL

On or around Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:05:09 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

I've yet to injure me feet (touches wood, throws salt over shoulder) when working wearing sandals... I did once nearly rip a toenail off, but that wasn't work, it was moving a sofa a bit carelessly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Me neither, but they did get somewhat stressed when angle grinding the bulkhead out...

Reply to
Mother

so Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Or hold your nose and blow bubbles out of your ear!

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Filthy bastard, you cant' beat a good old fashioned slag!

fnnaaar fnnaarr

Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Richard Brookman wrote: But have you ever had a spark from an

No, but what about straight down your ear 'ole ? So you can hear your own flesh sizzling....

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Hmm, several layers of clothing in the vain hope that they might protect you from burns when under the chassis on one of the cooler days but all they do is alert you to the incoming embers.

At least it gives your mate with the bottle of water spray a heads up when he hears the: HISSsss (old padded bodywarmer) HISSsss (overalls) HISSsss (shirt) HISSsss (t-shirt) SCREAM (me)

Got a nice real thick leather welding jacket a couple of years back and it has paid for itself in pain relief a few times now. Those weld spatter burns don't heal up very well at all.

Reply to
wayne

On or around Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:35:18 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:12:07 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Better off with Rover 90 car diffs - they are halfway between the 4.7 and

3.54 diffs at about 4:1 (approx).

Ron

Reply to
p38arover