series voltage regulator wiring

The one that has a male spade on the reg is the 12v ign, thus it takes a normal female spade on the wire. The one that has a female spade on the reg (and thus an unusual male spade on the wire) is the 12v regulated.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

the series/101 voltage reg that is attached to the back of my speedo has 2 terminals on. a male and a female spade. One will be the unregulated in and the other 12v out, but does anybody have any idea which is which?

It is too dark outside to go test it now and im just trying to rewire the 101 dash in the confort of the house! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks alex - i knew you would be able to tell me!

do you know if it is worth running extra gauges through a voltage reg too or are they more civilised and likely to have them built in? I have a TIM temp gauge and plan to get oil pressure and temperature ones once ive found somewhere resonably priced!

Dash now done apart from the ign feeds as im still working out a tidy way to string them all together.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

They either need one or they don't , any half decent modern one won't.

The reg sort of fluctuates between around 10.5 or so and 14 volts thus evening out over a period at around 12 v... well at least the less time than the needle is likely to move in anyway.

Anything solid state would be well fuddled by a voltage regulator being attached.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

When those horrid Lucas regulators fail I replace them with a solid state regulator - 100% reliable thereafter.

Reply to
EMB

Quite - but the one in my 2a is the original, and is doing quite well at 36 years, so it is a bit hard to see how a solid state one would improve significantly on this. I suspect that a lot of the problems with these regulators are in fact poor earths - which, living in a dry climate, have not manifested, at least as far as the voltage regulator goes (headlights are a different matter). JD

Reply to
JD

Same with my Dad's 1961 IIa - original regulator still going strong. But I've replaced a few on clients' vehicles (mostly ones that see a lot of water).

Reply to
EMB

1961? I didn't think they were fitted until about 1967. JD
Reply to
JD

There's one in there - I was just assuming it was original as it's been there ever since the first time I got into the dashboard.

Reply to
EMB

They came with the temperature gauge and the changed fuel gauge, I think at the same time as negative earth, around 1967. But of course the later instrument cluster (or even just the fuel gauge and sender) could have been fitted and this would require the regulator. JD

Reply to
JD

The clocks must have been changed then because the old clocks didn't even have a temp. gauge fitted in '61, main beam light, fuel gauge and ammeter up until '67 as you say unless the later ones were fitted for export, but I doubt it. BTW does the regulator have an earth connection in the case?, I've never had one apart to look, they are usually so reliable that if I've had a faulty one I've replaced it with a second hand one, never had to buy a new one. I've never seen a solid state one either.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I've just spoken to the old man and he thinks the regulator was fitted when he added a temperature gauge in the late 1960's.

Reply to
EMB

I started making them with a 7809 IC for Nissans that used a 9V regulator that Nissan couldn't supply at a price less than a week's wages.

Now I make them up out of a LM317 or LM350 IC and a variable resistor so they can be adjusted to any voltage that may be required (good for setting 'normal' on the temp gauge). They even work on stupid Toyotas that have the voltage reg built into the fuel gauge assembly so it's a major cost if it fails (as they do quite often).

Reply to
EMB

The case IS the earth connection. I suspect most cases of faulty regulators, "confirmed" by replacing them, are simply a case of poor connections, usually the earth, that a lot of people think is just the mounting bolt. Normally they are on the speedo on the S3 and the firewall on the S2a. JD

Reply to
JD