shitpart brake adjusters

What a bag of s**te!

I decided a couple of months ago i wasnt going to buy any more britpart stuff - but I bought these last year as they were all i could get at the time.

Around 12 months ago i replaced pretty much all the brakes on the 2A, but was unable to get them adjusted such that it didnt pull and eventually i ran out of tuits and parked the landy up.

I decided to finish the job today - and found that the problem was down to the shitty britpart brake adjusters i had fitted. The old ones i removed because they were worn fitted the snail onto the shaft using a keyed hole to keep it in place (still got bits of them knocking about in the shed).

The britpart ones use a round hole in the snail and a splined section on the end of the shaft - the idea being that they are an interference fit. Unfortunately they seem to be made to such a shitty tolerance that they dont fit tightly - and i could only tighten the adjuster up so far before the snail started spinning on the shaft - hence my difficulty in adjusting the brakes.

How can they keep making this crap? Its not like it even did any miles before breaking!

Sorry, i just feel the urge to rant! :)

Dont buy britpart stuff! - it never works!

Reply to
Tom Woods

You aren't being a bit savage with them are you? I've never bought from Britpart but I think most of the others are just the same. Jack up the wheels and turn gently until brake just binds while keeping the wheel turning then back off just a bit. I've always found them to tighten up ok, maybe once you've pulled them up, remove bolt and weld snail cam in position.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:38:52 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I've seen the cam fall off (old) genuine ones... welded it back on. I also made a new cam for one on which all the serrations had worn off which made it tend to undo itself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles