Side steps

I was wondering if side steps for a 90 can easily be fitted to a SIII 109?, they seem to be far cheaper and more common on eBay than SIII ones. Greg

Reply to
Greg

are too small for adults to use and I don't have kids. Further, they reduce ground clearance. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Maybe that explains why so many 'nearly new' sets come up on eBay 8-). But even so, are the mountings the same on 90 and series steps ? Greg

Reply to
Greg

If you mean the folding variety, then it can probably be done, but the leg that goes back to the chaissis will be the wrong length etc.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes those are the ones, money saved, thanks very much.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Were such useless bits of stuff ever offered as a series attachment?

Reply to
Dougal

Yes they were. I had them briefly, on the passenger side only. The first trial I did wiped them off quick. Not completely, but they no longer functioned as intended. They look b* stupid on a real 4wd, I can assure you :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Fortunately I'm not interested in trials, and from what I can see I'll lose my exhaust and tow bar long before steps if just paddling across muddy fields, which is all I need it to do. Unfortunately the fact remains that I will have to carry a set of steps for certain passengers if I don't fit them, so they're getting fitted!.

I know I'm new to this but it seems to me that being properly set up for trials and being set up for a days work are fairly incompatible. I need a lowish tow hitch for my trailers and I don't want mud tyres on the road, etc. Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| Unfortunately the || fact remains that I will have to carry a set of steps for certain || passengers if I don't fit them, so they're getting fitted!.

Plastic kitchen stool - right height, won't rust, takes up no room in the boot, cheap as chips. It got Granny in the Disco many times without hassle, without the nuisance of side steps. If you fit side steps and you yourself don't need them, you will bang your shin and mucky your trouser leg on them every time you get in. I got them with a Disco 1 I had briefly, and they were off within a week. Devil's invention.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've had them on both the 2a and 110 for nearly fifteen years. They can be folded out of the way when not needed or for increased ground clearance, bend neatly when you hit something and straighten with a crow bar with no trouble. They were essential for my wife (no longer with us), my rather short daughter in law and the grandchildren and I find them more useful as I get older.

I don't think they look stupid, and in any case who cares about appearance in a real four wheel drive - practicality is what they are all about and they are practical. Perhaps not for trials, but that is not what Landrovers were designed for - they were designed as a practical no-nonsense vehicle.

The folding steps were optional equipment at least from the introduction of the Series 2. JD

Reply to
JD

Not completely so - I still have the side steps (nicely raked back at about 45') and the full tow hitch on the 110, and I've quite happily trialled it. If you go along and watch RTV's, you'd be surprised how often the top three are pretty much standard vehicles.

Jim The Quiche used to trial his 90 with all his tools in the back and do quite well! [1]

Richard

[1] he did get through a lot of roof racks though. And he's a loony.
Reply to
beamendsltd

Without the local knowledge & going entirely by name, sounds like his tools would consist of pastry knives?

good practice for sieving?

helps :)

Reply to
William Tasso

Agricultural machinery repairs.......... he just mentioned within earshot of the mag editor (me) that he preferred a nice dinner party to going to the pub.

Mostly full-size tree decoration, often involving some pruning.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Sorry Greg, don't know which fits what, but I agree with Richard - Granny gets in ours with a set of steps which we carry upside down in the back and thus they take no space and actually stop stuff rolling about when placed in them! The plastic ones were OK but as a medical supplier we got some posh metal ones which really look the part. Having said all that I forgot to take them today and Granny had to use the side steps and managed pretty well. Her main complaint is that the 300 Disco does not have the passenger grab rails that the 200 had and that makes getting in more difficult for her. Being blind doesn't help her either but she was in good company today as quite a few car drivers were in the same boat! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB