*sigh* It gets worse...

One of the vehicles on the mud-club stand had 4 of it's 5 wheelnuts (on one wheel) removed, including the locking one. These people are SCUM. Someone could have LOST THEIR LIFE.

Reading more and more, I'm quite willing to stay at home next year and walk in with a cardboard cutout of my Landy :(

Reply to
The Neffalump
.

Hmmm that may mean it wouldnt break down then i suppose.

Peter

Reply to
Scorpio

Kin eck. You're not wrong - scary. I doubt whether the thief cared, though - or the "organisers". Too many shows, maybe the time to vote with our feet (and wheels) as to which shows we feel are looking after our interests, rather than their own pockets? Security at Billing - eh?

I was chatting to a couple of 'travellers' or "tinkers" (or whatever term to use - they certainly weren't Romany) briefly who were complaining that nothing was safe during this show. Odd really, these stereotypes can be a bit damaging...

Reply to
Mother

Not really they have to have a plausible story...

In fact they are very well versed in spouting the same story without hesitating, the true test is if they like your dog when he's not confined.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Dunno bout travellers, but I remember some years back when "new age travellers" were the popular bogey, with height barriers being put on the Burton Dassets, lest they might try to camp there after they had shifted from Malvern or wherever it was they were at the time.

I saw a convoy of them once, and deprecated them for not looking after the vintage buses that seemed to form a large component.

Trouble is my motor looks too tatty to join such a convoy nowadays :)

Nah some years ago, a gruop of extremely well heeled Tinkers took over a derelict site close to Coventry City centre, and they had the temerity to complain about being intimidated by the local kids :)

Reply to
Larry

Possibly I guess. I felt a tad sorry for him actually - was almost as if he were embarrassed. He made a fuss of Max and didn't offer to resurface my drive...

Reply to
Mother

Passed the test then

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I remember that!

I'm not too sure I trust any one group within society more than any other these days. I have a crafty way of setting my standards, based upon three grand values; Fidelity, Charity, and Honesty (or similar wording). I avoid religion and politics (which is just as well!) and try not to pre-judge anyone.

Neils comments struck a sore chord though. Theft is one thing and in general I can live with it. Material 'things' can be replaced. Taking the fecking wheelnuts off though, is tantamount to attempted murder in my book. I hardly ever check that they're there unless I've done some work on the brakes or whatever involves removing the wheels, or been off-roading - in which case I not only check they're there, but also that the treads are fine... Ihould check they're there whilst attending a show.

Shows like Billing, as someone said (possibly on UK-LRO) are akin to Glastonbury. Billing has a history in the 'Fraternity' which goes hand-in-hand with the joy of the Land Rover Marque. I try to extend the hand of friendship to the uninitiated and popular world of motorsport by drawing attention to the fraternity we (generally) share, but at the same time I could easily cut the hand from the person responsible for removing aforementioned wheelnuts.

Hmm... that was a bit of a rant... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Do they do house calls ? I can't GET the bastards off mine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I bought a set of tyres at Billing and, as directed on the invoice, checked the wheel nuts after 30 minutes. I'll be beggared if I can move any of them in any direction. That's the problem with compressed air tools...... have any of these tyre fitters ever heard of the correct torque rating for the wheel studs on a Disco alloy rim? Ha! Don't be daft.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

135NM innit?

I now have a torque bar to put them on and a 3' breaker bar with a 6' length of scaffold just in case I ever go near my local ATS.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I always have to check in the handbook.

I have a pole which was part of my garden swing when I was a little girl. It's perfect for stuck nuts (if you'll pardon the expression) as long as you can get someone to hold the socket on the nut while I swing on the end of the pole!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Reply to
Hirsty's

I had a tyre replaced at National tyres, they asked me what the torque setting was and actually used a wrench to finish the job off :)

Reply to
Larry

They did this with one of my cars a few years ago .. used a break-back torque wrench, it broke correctly, and they then turned it another 1/4 turn .. Why ?

I un-did them at work and re-tightened them correctly .. ;)

Over-torqueing can be worse than under-torqueing.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Meanwhile his mucker was trying to work out the best way to syphon LPG without cracking his lips.....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You should have kept the whole swing assembly. They make an ideal impromptu engine hoist (so I'm told) - oh for a digital camera in those old days of roadside engine replacements! :-)

Reply to
Mother

Roadside engine replacment!!!

Did you just happen to be carrying a spare?

Reply to
Simon Barr

Sort of... Old Ford Anglia with knackered engine. Advert in the local paper for a rusty old Anglia so we went to have a look - it was a dog but the engine wasn't a smoker - so we changed it there and then. Paid 25 quid for the whole car, after we'd swapped the engine we towed the 'new' one to the breakers and got 20 quid.

Police turned up just as we were finishing off. Against the "Town Police Clauses Act of 1847" apparently. The poor sods couldn't believe we'd actually managed to do it and waved us merrily on our way.

This was a long time ago.

There's a story about some chaps changing a 101 gearbox in a motorway service station some years ago which, I believe, makes our engine change similar to replacing a flat tyre!

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:02:57 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

one or two reputable places are now doing this.

big airguns are capable of far exceeding the design torque on normal car wheel botls/studs, and they probably are getting worried at the possibility of a lawsuit if they shear off on the road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles