*sigh* It gets worse...

Reminds me of my old Lambretta scooter days.

Among the odd things I have done, is carried a complete engine home on the scooter, accross the footplates, and I once took a lambretta engine on a corporation bus, went into a pub with it, and just sat it on the middle of the floor. Nobody seemed to take much notice, but then pubs were pubs in those days.

Reply to
Larry

Is it possible to fall asleep at the wheel of a series 3 like mine that needs your attention all the time.

I know some geezer caused the Selby Rail crash that way but that was in a defender surely ?

When I used to drive up the motorway from London and felt myself nodding off, I used to get off the motorway and onto the old A40 it surprising how driving on roads like that wakes you up.

Reply to
Larry

I'm sure they'll only get used for sleeping... :)

A friend of mine tought me a great skill once - self hypnosis. Very simple, takes about 20 minutes to do and refreshes you like 8 hours of sleep does. It's very impressive, I'm usually a skeptic, but I was shocked to find that this actually works. Of course, you do need to get actual rest eventualy, but the better you become at this, the longer you can survive. My mate would regularly not sleep for 3 or 4 weeks, then crash and sleep for about 5 days.

Gave up the smoking, so I keep sweets in the car instead. Coffee relaxes me and sends me to sleep for some reason.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

I once changed my oil and filter in a Tesco's car park in central London. The road outside my house was at quite and angle, and this was the nearest well-lit flat spot I found. :)

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

Well what your short of is a microwave bed, me old fruit. 8 hours sleep in 3 mins d;-)

Reply to
Dave Piggin

There is a psychological therapy based upon accelerated sleep, not hypnosis, more a trance, deep state of relaxation. Can induce REM sleep within three minutes.

I'm an 8 hours man myself - then I like to have a little nap.

Reply to
Mother

I need to learn that technique - I have sleep apnoea which means that I wake up approximately every 50 seconds just to be able to breathe.

The result is that 8 hours sleep for me is around as useful as 45 minutes for anybody normal.

And no - more sleep doesn't help.

Treatment starts on Friday - wish me luck!

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:14:11 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

yer getting one of those juvenile vacuum cleaners?

AKA CPAP chamine, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. cunning gadget which blows air up yer schnozz, when it detects that you've stopped breathing, it blows more so as to stimulate the breathing reflex thing. dead cunning. I know someone who relies on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Attaone.

Unfortunately it's a clinical trial, so there's a 50% that it'll be set too low, but I'll take 50% of a chance over 100% of nothing.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Good luck .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Reports I have from friends are that they are hugely successful, once properly adjusted.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Have you tried Meditation? I know it sounds tree-huggy-hippy but there is a weight of evidence to demonstrate quite positive results.

Probably won't help you sleep any longer - or better, but can help to enable the mind to 'file away' stuff that usually happens in REM.

Well, good luck, obviously :-)

Reply to
Mother