SIII front half-shaft seized into diff :-(

I assume you've tried rocking the vehicle to ensure it's not just at a funny "point".

Neil

Neil Brownlee

The right front half-shaft on my series 3 seems to be seized into the diff (at least I can't get the blighter out), AFAIK this needs to come out to replace the top swivel-pin bush, which is rather worn.

Any tips for un-sticking the diff end of the shaft (short of dismantling the diff itself)?

Cheers.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Vialle

Mine was the same when i came to do my swivels. Don't know why it gets stuck, but it does. I decided in the end to stick a big lever through behind the UJ, then used a combination of leverage off the swivel housing and hitting it with a big hammer to get it out. I decided that if i knackered the UJ then i would replace it (it didnt actually seem to damage it).

Reply to
Tom Woods

I managed to replace the bush without removing the half shaft, so there it will stay until I put my new diff in (not too far away now). And yes, I tried the tyre levers and the big hammer :-)

Cheers.

Steve.

Steve Vialle wrote:

Reply to