SIII Points confusion (novice)

Hi all,

Just tried changing the points on my SIII 21/4.

The vertical post on the base plate has a pillar about 5mm tall onto which the 'moving' side of the points is supposed to fit (the other end going to where the condensor/LT leads fit). When I do this they keep jumping off. Seems that the pillar is too short.

The set I took off has an 'extension pillar' built in (but are knackered so I'd rather change them).

Am I trying to fit the wrong points ???

Sorry for being such a novice !

Andrew

Reply to
Diogenes

Bit of a long shot this one; but I once tried fitting points before realizing ( after being told ) that there were two versions left hand & right hand !!!

Have you the correct ones to fit ? Mine was an AC Delco distributor

Reply to
Hirsty's

There are four possible types of points, three Lucas type and the Ducellier type....

Unless the distributor has been changed, for a SIII you are willl need the later Lucas type or Ducellier. As a rule of thumb, if the distributor cap is brown then it is a Ducellier, otherwise Lucas.

The actual maker of the distributor does not affect the above.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd