SIII steering damper fixings

Hi folks,

I have just got a steering damper for my S111 StatWag from Paddock. Although I asked for the fixing kit as well, and the bracket looks like it mates nicely by the spring hanger on the chassis, it would seem that I am in need of something to handle the other end of the shock.

I cannot find on the net any diagrams/photos of the whole arrangement, but my best guess leads me to believe that it is missing a clamp-and-eye piece for relay-to-nearside-wheel steering rod.

I'd love to know if my guess is right and where on Earth I would find one of these jobbies?

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yep, spot on.

Get the whole track rod / drag link rod (what ever they are called) from where ever sells them. They get bent often enough so they should be available. :-)

Make sure you get the right one for the track rod ends you use. I seem to recall different TRE in sopme of them that have cost someones life in the past due to the wrong ones being used. Easy mistake to make!

Lee D

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Probably changed around 1980 when they changed the wheel bearings and the brakes on the SWB. If you get the wrong TREs you should be able to tell straight away as they would tighten in the thread after about only one turn. If you get one from Paddocks they would also supply you with the right ends. If you can't get one I think I've got a couple of secondhand ones lying about but you would still need the ends, I haven't got any at the moment.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Cool, just fired off an email to Paddock as I cannot find the drag links on their website.

I also asked about that too. I've changed my TRE's > Probably changed around 1980 when they changed the wheel bearings and the

Well, the front axle came from an MOD 109 radio vehicle (huge, heavy alternater if I recall) and has the piece of angle iron welded across the longer part of the case. Just in case it helps anyone date it.

Ah, nice... I remember turning the things may times - whew I'm safe at the moment.

Cheers, I'll give you a shout if I have no luck.

THanks to the both of you

Andy R

Reply to
Andy