silly ebay

Greeting One and All.

So there I am trawling around ebay looking at Land Rover goodies when I spot a V8 Disco that wasn't returned in my specific search earlier for /Discovery V8/. Closer inspection reveals the vehicle is listed as a Discovery V8i. A new search for /Discovery V8i/ returns a clutch [1] of ads I'd not yet seen.

Sellers: I reckon you'd be well advised to ensure your punters don't have to work too hard to find your listing. When building your ad think very carefully about your wording. In this case listing as V8/V8i would bring more punters specifically searching for that category.

For those buyers that CBA to go the extra mile this search will return both: Discovery (V8,V8i)

[1] worthy contender for colective noun?
Reply to
William Tasso

That will work but v8* might be better, as at 0513 this morning:

dicovery v8 = 152 hits discovery v8i = 28 discovery (v8,v8i) = 180 discovery v8* = 182

ICBA to find the extra two items but a quick look showed the that "V8 EFI" is used. If someone dropped the space to form "v8efi" only the last search would find those items.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's often worth trying to figure out what numpty sellers are going to c*ck up, e.g. mis-spelling the make or model, as such auctions often don't attract many bids.

In your case, try also searching for discovery petrol, that might turn up a few more.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Wildcards rock when searching ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Christ, I've been using eBay for seven years and until now didn't know wild cards were permitted in the search fields! What a dumb a**!!

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote in message news:449ab5bb$0$948$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...

Being mildly dyslexic I have reaped the benifits of crap spelling and cheap purchases from equally crap spellers.

Tis a heavy burden!

Wild cards were a new one on me too... now I can just search on land* and be sure to get something for the weekend.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D came up with the following;:

Nice ...

;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It annoys me that Landrover and Land rover will throw out results that are exclusive to each other- mind you a certain way to get a bargain is search for spoonerisms. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:22:33 +0100, "Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" enlightened us thusly:

you mean dumb a*. HTH.

for "ass" you'd use "a??" a* would get you arse, as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles