silly running fault on V8

it starts, runs and idles. it idles a tad erratically. as you put the engine under load (to move off, for example) it throws a wobbler with misfiring and pratting about, then smooths out again. sometimes it does this more than others. It doesn't make much difference whether it's hot or cold.

when it's messing about, it's losing at least 50% of the firing, for a brief period, sometimes more, occasionally it stalls. Once you get away from just-off-idle speed, it appears to run well, smoothly and with about the expected level of power.

It's recently been rebuilt with new rings and honed bores, and has recently had new plugs.

it's also recently had almost all the ignition system changed, thanks to a previous fault.

This morning, I put a different manifold/carb set on, which was known to be working well before. This has improved it slightly, but the fault's still there, just not as much as before. There's nothing obvious wrong with the mating faces or the inlet manifold gasket.

Adjusting timing or fuelling makes the normal sorts of difference to the general running, but doesn't really affect the problem.

The only thing I've not yet changed or tweaked is the plug leads. A set of magnecors is in theory on order, though no sign of it yet and I'll need to chase 'em about that soon.

Anyone think of anything I've not thought of?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you checked the vacuum advance is working OK ?

When you first accelerate or put the engine under load the manifold vacuum increases causing the distributor to advance the ignition timing until the engine gets up to speed and the distributor weights take over. If the vacuum advance is stuck you'd get the symptoms outlined.

Make sure the pipe is connected/not blocked and that the stator plate moves freely.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I had something like this and it was the Vacuum advance unit on the distributor sticking and then freeing itself. A blast of WD40 inside the distributor fixed it for me.

Basically the engine running too far retarded and misfiring.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:28:24 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

the pipe's OK, and AFAIK the vacuum advance thing moves properly. I've checked all the obvious things.

and yes, that can cause problems, but in fact what you describe is the exact opposite of what happens. at lowish revs, when you put your toe down, the inlet dpression *decreases*, giving less vacuum advance. This has the effect of slightly retarding the ignition (and it's only a few degrees, anyway) until such time as the engine revs increase. It's supposed to stop it pinking under full-throttle low speed conditions. Mind, I've never been convinced by the amount of suck in the pipe off the carb - but I did try connecting the vacuum unit to the manifold instead, which made no difference.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

snip

Not sure what dizzy you have, but check the small earth wire between the back plate and the body. I had similar problems on a 4 cyl. Would rev ok off load, but couldn't drive away. As the vac advance moved the back plate the connection broke, stopping the engine, until the revs came down, and then it would cut back in again. Good luck

Mike

Reply to
Mike Derrick

On or around Thu, 8 Apr 2004 06:38:11 +0100, "Mike Derrick" enlightened us thusly:

it's the electronic distributor, and the sensor plate assembly inside is nearly new, as it got replaced (unnecessarily, buggrit) a few months ago. I don't think it has a wire such as that, although a silly loose contact hasn't been over-ruled as a possible cause. When it hadn't been run for a few days and I fired it up on a wet morning, it was quite reluctant to start, which also points me int he direction of leads. and if that bunch I ordered the magencors off don't get their act together soon I'll be buying 'em somewhere else. 's all very well offering a good price (which they are) but that's no good if it doesn't produce the product.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm my 2.25 does that, its a nuisance as it usually stalls at the first set of lights if I am not juggling the throttle. When the engine warms up it is fine.

The other day though driving in the rain at a fair old speed it started spluttering a lot, and I looked at the temperature guage and it was in the blue, and that after driving around for some time. It has a terrible tendencey to overcool and I guess with a cold engine, the compression is not very good.

Reply to
Larry