slick 50 gearbox treatment ?

Maybe someone out there can give me some advice. I have a '96 300Tdi manual gearbox, I am just about to give the old girl a service and I use slick 50 engine treatment in the engine, obviously, but I have never used the gearbox treatment before. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this stuff, should I put it in, or just stick to recommended auto transmission fluid. Any suggestions or helpful remarks would be greatly received...

Reply to
Mark Fry

"Mark Fry" schreef in bericht news:_y73b.418$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net...

AFAIK Slick50 has additives specific for gearboxes.

Reply to
aghasee

I've used Slick 50 in car engines for many years and I posed the same question regarding my motorbike on a different NG. I was pointed to the following web page by way of reply:

I'm still not sure about using it in my bike, especially when you think how expensive it is.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

depends on the oil you use, modern oils will have the correct amount of everthing the engine/gearbox needs so adding this stuff ODs on some things, particularly things that clog small oil journals and the like, If you were planning to use good old SAE30 oil then it might be of some value, I also seem to remember sticking anything like this in an automatic did very funny things to the viscous clutch resulting in a great deal of shirt rending, moaning and general mayhem.

Of course people continue to use these products, and people continue to get rich selling them, and many swear by them. I used to like molyslip a lot, 30 years ago when I seviced the jag on plain oil, but never consider it nowadays. The oil companies claim to have optimised all the additives in their products and modern cars do 12,000 miles between oil changes, I used to do the MkII every 1000 to 1200 miles, as the drop in oil pressure became perceptable at this milage.

Now let me think; 10 pints of horticultural oil @ .... plus slix @.... Ummmmm! How much did you say that modern oil I ought to use is?

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

I've used Slick 50 in the engine of my 1993 200Tdi for over

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Interesting reading on this page about additives -

Rest of the site is very good especially if you are new to vehicle maintenance.

Sean www.mmvg,net

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5D
Reply to
Sean Ryan