Slight knocking under load & let off load (RRC)

Sounds like something on the NS rear possibly front under load (on take up & let off of load) It's not a heavy clonk or similar. It's more like a muffled heavy tapping. I though the exhaust at first, but it seems tighter than a nuns muff.

Any ideas fellow contributors?

ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Radius arm bushes? Crowbar testing time.

Or something loose on the inner wing...is the Battery fastened down?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'd guess bushings too.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Rear 'A' frame ball joint????

Reply to
90ninety

Both our Rangie and Disco suffer a brake pad rattle too. Rather reassuring as I haven't touched the braked on the Disco so at least I know it's not me.

You can check if its this by jacking the wheels and rolling for and aft to listen for the pads relocating. Bit clackety clack. Aggrivated on bumpy lanes but shuts up when the brakes are applied.

This is probably because they are too clean and not got a crud cushion.

Both vehicles have sound bearings ect.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Could be any number of bushes, I had a particularly awkward one to find that sounded like it was coming from the fuel tank area, after getting a buddy to jump up and down on the tow bar while I crawled around underneath we traced it to the panhard rod bushes at the fornt, the sound was travelling right through the chassis and appearing to be at the rear end.

Another one turned out to be shock absorber bushes, took bloody ages to find the noise but once there it was a reasonably easy fix. From your description I'm erring towards shock absorber bushes.

I thoroughly recommend the use of an able weighty assistant to "bounce" vehicle whilst you crawl around underneath trying to narrow down knocking sounds.

Now if said sounds only occurs under power and not when stationary and under able weighty assistant conditions then you need to start looking at the drive train starting with the obvious bits first such as UJ's on the propshafts etc.

Happy hunting.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd