Slightly O. T. Fiat punto wipes staying on

Hi all. My son came home this afternoon with the cry of Da-ad. The wiper motor was running continuously with the ignition on. I check Haynes and there are three relays - one in the switch, one in the fusebox and one at the motor. I swapped the fusebox one for another, but it made no difference. I dismantled the wiper switch assembly on the steering column and found a nice little printed circuit board with a relay soldered on. I did not investigate the motor. As a temporary measure I have fitted a switch onto the motor supply wire which isolated the power until I figure out a more permanent solution. Am I right in thinking that the fault is caused by a sticking relay?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray

Most likely a sticky/broken self-park switch on the wiper motor itself - it should have a permanent power feed so it will self-park.

Reply to
EMB

I had a simlar problem on a cavalier

I turned out to be a a bad earth. it was using the motor's earth instead of the eath for the ignition switch. so any time the ignition was on the wipers started up.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan