Slightly OT: MOT Test

Hi

My Laguna has an MOT on Friday; the passenger door mirror is cracked. Will this be an MOT fail?

Thanks, Paul

-----------

1992 RR Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

Quite likely. Personally, if the glass is secured and the crack doesn't impede or distort vision and both other mirrors are ok, then I'd pass and advise. Another tester, however, would be within his rights to fail it if he wanted to. Best bet is to drop into Halfrauds and get a correct sized sticky one and fit it over the top of the existing glass. Only costs a few quid and safeguards against a retest fee. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

It's not an obligatory mirror so unless it's got sharp edges or it's about to fall off it's not a fail.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

On or around Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:21:48 +0100, John Greystrong enlightened us thusly:

Are you sure it's not a "if fitted it must be sound"?

You're allowed not to have a NS mirror at all, provided you have a OS one and an interior one. Which reminds me, I could do with an interior one for the SIII sometime.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So remove the mirror part leaving the (safe) housing. That should avoid all argument then about cracks/distortion and functionality of the mirror as it doesn't exist. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite sure ;-)

Additional mirrors Any mirrors additional to the obligatory mirrors are not subject to this inspection.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

But, obligatory is either o/s and interior rear view, or o/s and n/s. Just because the n/s one is bust, it doesn't automatically remove it from the test, the wording in the testers manual isn't clear-cut on this, hence why someone could actually be within their rights to fail it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Have a look here.

Reply to
737flf

I suppose but if I saw an O/S and an interior mirror I wouldn't worry about the view from the N/S. I shall ask the nice man from VOSA for his opinion next time I see him.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I agree with John, as far as I can remember (7 years last time I did a test) you need an off side mirror and 1 other but this could have changed since then, in fact in 7 years the entire testers manual has probably been re-writen at least 3 times ( god doing mot's really sucked, I am glad I got out when I did:-)

Icky

Reply to
icky

On or around Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:19:59 GMT, "icky" enlightened us thusly:

I bet you are, apparently the new computerised thing sucks like an industrial grade vacuum cleaner.

BTW, and a bit OT... anyone know how much a vehicle PSV test for a minibus costs, and whether there are any nasty traps for the unwary?

The current bus was PSV tested when I got it, (with about a week left to run) and has a COIF, I was speculating that it might be more saleable with a new PSV on it, when I come to sell it. But if it's gonna cost a fortune and be a lot of hassle, then I won't bother.

Oh, and another one for the MOT testers...

The same bus still has "bus" on it's registration document. Can it be tested by a normal MOT garage and have a normal MOT. I know that it *could* be so tested, 'cos it was last year in May, but that's a written certificate, not a computerised one, so the bloke could have turned a blind eye to the "bus" bit or mor4e likely not known.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

depends on the number of seats up to12 class 4 between 12 &17 class 5 light over 17 class 5 a number of test stations can test class 5L as long as the max vehicle weight is

3500kg where I worked before tests them but Sheffields a bit far for you
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:27:56 +0100, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

It's currently 9 seats, but I've an idea the documents still say 13, so if the computer knows, then it'll come up as 13. I'll have a word with the local bod again tomorrow - he's hopefully going to MOT the car; work's done on it but they couldn't get a slot to log into the MOT system. Marvellous what modern technology can do for you, isn't it, except of course it's not modern - apparently the system is about 5 years out of date.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

5 years out of date and still not running as it was supposed to is the test certificate a computerised one? because when entering the details it asks for the number of seats in addition to the drivers if it already on the system then I'm sure you can change it anyway I used to test quite a few that had seats taken out to get it in as a 12 seater just don't add more seats as the test becomes invalid
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Austin Shackles wrote: [MOTs]

I quite like it. Saves an awful lot of writing.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I didn't mind it and it does save on writing but it's not reliable enough try registering a test at about 10 pm

9 times out of 10 the system reports an error and locks the card up it won't let you re-register a test because it says a test is already registered but it wont let you cancel the test because it say there isn't one registered the only solution is to wait until 6am for technical to cancel the test at their end (no one there between 10 and 6) which is great if a person has travelled a fair distance because your the only one doing 24hr testing Also up to three months ago Iveco vans were not recognised by the system don't know whether they are on it now
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:02:49 +0100, "Andy.Smalley" scribbled the following nonsense:

Speaking to a tester yesterday, if he logs an advisory, it is

*supposed* to flag it at the next MOT..... Took him 30 minutes test SWMBO's car, and then had to wait 15 mins to complete the computer bit so it was 45 mins....
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:02:49 +0100, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

quite...

the current one is handwritten, but then the current one probably says 13 seats, 'cos that's what it had then.

OK, shouldn't be a problem then - they can test it as 8 plus driver or 9 including driver. Since they've tested that size buses in the past for me I assume they can.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:28:49 +0100, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

Yesterday, they'd completed the work on my car and weren't able to test it. Previously, they'd have already done a test on it, rectified the failure points and then issued a pass certificate.

They did this time, in a sense: They've already done a "pre mot inspection" and that identified work needing doing - now the work's done it should pass the test, and under the old system I could have had a certificate and taken it to town today to buy a tax disc. As it is I probably won't be able to do that 'til friday and that means a separate journey.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

10pm? That's just madness ;-)

Is it 24hr all week or only when you've got bookings?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong