Slightly OT: Radio 2 debate on 4x4 use in London

Not directly aimed at Land Rovers, but as usual we're all tarred with the same brush, I just tuned in today half way through Jeremy Vine's show to catch a 4x4 debate but it was full of the usual broad statements and wild pollution claims with some lady campaigning for congestion charge to be £20 for all 4x4's and much higher road tax for 4x4's because of all the pollution. Some of you might like to listen to the debate. You should be able to get it later today some time on the 'Listen Again' Radio 2 web site

(Listen Again | Jeremy Vine Thursday) Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Unfortunately I've just listened to this idiot and have suggested to the BBC that they might help the ozone layer by fitting this woman with a gag to stop hot air escaping!

Why can't these morons do something constructive like targeting the pillocks of boy racers which plague everywhere in the UK. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

What I want to know is when is JY coming back. He would never entertain these worthless twerps and their nonsensical arguments.

Reply to
Peter

In reponse to his jibe (I'm getting more and more fed up with his personal predjudices being aired on the show) at the end, I sent this mail. It at least made me feel better after listening to all that tosh....

"Some people still have bull bars as a macho accessory. However, many have them for practical purposes. When driving off-road, they provide protection for vehicles, which where vehicles are used competetively in RTV trials etc, can be considered necessary. Many users also use them, and their vehicle, as temporary fencing for animals, pushing plant and equipment, and even carrying equipment on when on-site. Quite how they are supposed to be more dangerous that a low sports car the will knock your feet from under you and crack your head on the bonnet and/or windscreen just goes to show how little thought and how much prejudice is involved in such a debate. For certain, "the media" have no idea what uses 4x4 vehicles are put to, not least as their entire point of view is expressed in terms of city dwellers, usually London based.

The original TRRL report only indicated a slight increase in the dangers represented by bull bars - the statistics have been manipulated by some so-called "experts" (as they always are) to obtain a desired result to support a particular point of view. As I recall, not mention of vans has been made - should they be banned too?

On another topic, I notice on todays programme, in a style which is becomming increaseingly evident on the Jeremy Vine show, that no one was in the studio to argue the opposite case. It is noticable that this happens when the subject it is a personal hobby-horse of the presenter."

Don't suppose it'll do any good - some just don't want to hear the full story.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Agreed.

We got a plug (as in mud-club!) hehe.

I was tempted to call in, but it might temper my TV appearance ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

No mater how hopeless they are or how stupid the topic if its controversial it makes for listings and people ringing in and ranting, that's what the producers want, what a sad state of affaires !!!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

controversial

I think the brigade that knock 4x4 are the same people who were happily driving around in them a little while ago when it was "fashionable" to have one. If we ignore them for long enough they'll go away, there's no basis in fact for the claims being made as many cars guzzle more juice, are longer and kill people just the same.

My mate has a Honda Legend with a 3.7 litre engine ( or 3. something ) which does around 10-12 round town and is longer than my 30+mpg diesel disco. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Have a look at the website these idiots have put up!

I'm sure if you cross matched the pictures with an animal rights site you'd find the same prats present! I'm getting more than a little fed up with some sanctimonious little pillock telling me how I should run my life, whether from this sort of organisation or from Tony Blur's alleged government. This organisation encourages people to vandalises 4x4's and as such should be classed as a terrorist organisation alongside the Animal Rights groups. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

I must say that I am getting rather tired of these rants. I have a

300tdi disco and I typically get about 900km's on a tank (I drive like a bit of an old git). I have just recently read about the launch of the bugatti veryon (spelling??) which can apparently dispose of a full tank of go go juice in 15 mins at full chat. There are also plenty of cars, 540, M5, M6, 760iL, S600, etc all of which I am sure would comfortably consume more than even a v8 landy.

As for hitting people. While any of the above vehicles would be hitting a cracking pace within meters of a traffic light, my landy would still be spluttering its way off the mark at a regally sedate pace.

And finally how much more conjestion does a landy cause than a 7 series?

I wish these pillocks would just get a grip and focus on facts instead of wild hyperbole.

Brief rant over Fanie

PS: I am in South Africa but we have a similar nutter lobby although not quite a vociforous yet.

Reply to
fanie

Just had a look. What a disgrace! It does say on the site that they are not targeting people with a genuine use for a 4x4. They also don't condone any sort of physical abuse of 4x4's or their owners. Having said that, what a bunch of self-righteous w**kers!!! It's always easy to target the 4x4 drivers. Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

I know the anti 4x4 alliance like to issue 'fake' parking tickets. It is in fact illegal to do so! Just read this at

'Apart from planning law restrictions, the law of trespass prevents the display of advertising on the walls of buildings or on fences without the consent of the owner. There will be a trespass also if the advertisement over- hangs the property of another, or is distributed in a way which interferes with the property of another, for example by lifting a car windscreen wiper to put a hand-bill under it. Trespass is a tort {civil wrong) for which the property owner may recover damages from the trespasser or obtain a court order or injunction preventing further trespass. Affixing posters to property without the owner's consent can also amount to the criminal offence of criminal damage.' Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Just as a matter of interest, the woman on the radio said she didn't own a car, but rode a bike. Has anyone ever actually seen a bike on these stupid boxes that seem to be appearing at traffic lights? Im my experience they are usually on the pavement dodging pedestrians! Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Reply to
Brendan

For what it's worth I e-mailed them this - probably pissing in the wind, but if everyone told them where to get off they may at least get their ego's dented.

"What a bunch of idiots! With all the suffering and distress in the world can't you find something constructive to do with your lives other than interfere with other peoples lives to fill you own sad and empty ones.

Almost all you "facts" are at best debatable, though mostly wrong - you are just making yourselves a laughing stock.

The Princes' Trust is always on the look out for volenteers, and provides constructive training/education that actually benefits society - a truly worthwhile endevour."

Ho hum.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

Well done Richard - you can't guarantee instant success but every little bit helps.

Reply to
hugh

They would need to stop at red lights to actually use them. I use them occasionaly on the motorbike, quite illegal, but handy none the less.

Reply to
scruttocks