"Slooshing" sound

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight slooshing noise (you know, water swilling about) coming from somewhere in front of the driver. Since first noticing it the frequency and volume of the noise has increased as if there's more water there now than before. I get the noise mostly when cornering and during braking but also sometimes during rapid acceleration.

I've had a couple of looks to see if I can find where it's coming from but everywhere's bone dry! It struck me this morning that maybe it's coming from the heater matrix. Does this sound likely - I thought it would be full and, therefore, silent. My reasoning for this is that when I had the biofuel conversion kit removed they had to disconnect the heater pipes to remove the heat exchanger. Could an air-lock have formed and still be in there? The heater has hardly been used since.

Thoughts?

Its a 1997 Discovery 300Tdi, BTW.

Reply to
SteveG

In message , SteveG writes

Check your coolant level. It could be that your head gasket is leaking combustion gasses in to the cooling system causing air locks. Not the most common form of head gasket failure on a 300 tdi but still possible.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Marc Draper uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Failing that pull one of the hoses and top it up with a garden hose on full to help blow any air around then quickly reattach the hose to the engine pipework.

I found on my classic it helped to have the front end higher than the rear in doing this to help any air out.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Watching out for corrosion inhibitor levels afterwards? Easy to forget, although TBH I have no experience of how much damage running at too low a level of CI can do.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeahs good point! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Finally tracked down why a friends 300TDi kept having head gasket failure - the pipe from the reservoir to the main coolant pipe became crudded. Removed and cleaned and it never made the sloshing sound again. Apparently it is a common fault that is never picked up....

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs