Sluggish 300tdi

Hi,

My 96 disco 300tdi manual is feeling very sluggish again.

It was very sluggish a while ago and someone gave me some "engine cleaner" spray to make it faster (which doesn't work incidentally!!) which you spray into the air inlet after the filter while revving the engine. I noticed that it was actually coming out of one of the hoses and going all over the show. I tracked the hose down to the be one to the intercooler radiated which had a gaping hole in it. I replaced the hose and things were better for a while.

However, it's going really slow again now (0-60 takes about 30secs). I've replaced all the filters including fuel and changed the oil. Not much difference. On a straight motorway, it struggles to get past 70mph with my foot hard on the floor, although after time it will make it to about 88ish.

Occassionally it seems to be quite fast at accelerating, but minutes later it can be slow again. It seems to be faster for about the first minute or so after a cold start in the morning - very strange!!

Anybody have any ideas what might be causing this? A clogged intercooler radiator? Having to floor out the car just to accelerate to 30mph at an acceptable speed is keeping my fuel economy in the low 20s!

I know someone with a 300tdi auto, and compared to mine his is like a 911!

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

Richard Wilkinson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Check all the hoses first then start worrying about the hardware.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Richard Hi,

do you hear the engine whistle more than it used to do when it was performing well?

If yes then most probably you have another ruptured or dislocated hose from your turbocharger to the intercooler or from the intercooler to the intake manifold.

It would be nice to try and clean your intercooler while checking the hoses.

Sometimes the hoses appear to be OK when you visualy inspect them but when you remove and look carefully at them you will see that they are ruptured inside or may have a well hidden hole which only opens when the system gets pressurised.

How many miles does your engine have on its clock?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Does it smoke at all?

There should be a small pipe (1/4" or so) coming from the inlet manifold to the top of the injection pump, check that this is in place, and not blocked or split.

Also try removing the stop solenoid from the injection pump,. and check for any splinters of metal round the bottom of the plunger, if there is, that is a sign that the injection pump is about to die, which is not particularly uncommon with the Bosch pump.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:04:48 +0100, "Richard Wilkinson" enlightened us thusly:

blocked cat in the exhaust could cause this. in the UK, you can replace the front pipe with a non-cat one...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And on my 97 Defender it made quite a difference. John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

It is more likely to be the fuel lift pump err5057 Try opening the bleed screw and pumping the primer leaver if this works OK but you have a lot of air in the filter look at the sedimenter on the drivers side rear chassis leg and failing that look for rotten pipe work where it leaves the tank, this can be seen by removing the boot carpet and removing the inspection cover, be prepaired to find the boot floor rotten though

Anthony

Reply to
touterrain

I do notice a slight whooshing noise after about 2000rpm although its not as bad as it was with the old hose

I'll have a thorough look around though. I only replaced the top half of the hose before, the original (I presume) bottom half connecting to the radiator seems very flimsy. Might replace that anyway.

Its done 111,000.

Thanks

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

The "elbow" under the turbo is very often the culprit, but the little straight "joiner" at the intercooler end can also join in the fun while looking all innocent.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:05:00 +0100, "Richard Wilkinson" enlightened us thusly:

Try revving it and watching the hoses. If you're getting boost pressure, you should see the rubber bits get fatter. Also, with the bonnet up, you may be able to hear any blowing that shouldn't be happening.

Oh yeah, another possibility: EGR stuck open. Best thing to do with that is to undo the little 2-bolt joint in the pipe, add a 2p piece, and bolt it up again... The 2p fits nicely across the pipe and prevents exhaust gases doing things they don't have to.

Since the EGR is normally only open on over-run (when the f***er's working right), it won't fail the test as a result.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| I know someone with a 300tdi auto, and compared to mine his is like || a 911!

Then you *have* got problems!

Reply to
Richard Brookman