Smok while downhill with engine brake

Hi,

everyone seems to talk about clouds of smoke today, so I will add one to this :)

When driving down a hill with the engine supporting the brakes, our Defender 90 starts to exhaust smoke. Engine is a 2.5 td. Normal behaviour, or do we have to worry? Everything else is normal, no coolant loss, no oil loss, no smoke during normal travel. Just when cranking the engine it also smokes, but this really seems normal to me with this kind of engine :) Five seconds after the engine has fired up there is no smoke at all...

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

In a petrol engine this indicates worn seals on the intake valve guides, sucking oil down the guides when there is a high vacuum in the manifold - but a turbo diesel never has a vacuum in the manifold. Could be the turbo leaking oil into the exhaust when there is low exhaust pressure but high rpm hence high oil pressure. JD

Reply to
JD

Duff turbo mate.

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Range Rover Classic (Monty)

__

Reply to
Nige

Once had the same symptoms with an engine which the oil level was too high. What can I say, I was in my youth.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, the level is in the middle of the correct range on the dipstick, and we had this effect before and after changing the oil, with the correct amount of approx. 6.5l.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

the engine smokes , as soon as you put your foot down the exhaust clears. So I guess its normal ...... non turbo 2.2 diesel uses no oil between changes

steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Yes, exactly.

Our 2.5TD also uses no or almost no oil. More and more I think, this behaviour is nothing to worry. I will keep an eye on it.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS