Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

Anyone know anything about this?

Reply to
'T'

Seems to centre round whether it's got an egr valve. My guess is the ball bearing is stuck down the vac pipe that opens the egr valve to stop it opening.

Reply to
jOn

so 'T' was, like...

As a general rule, don't buy anything off eBay where the seller writes everything in CAPITALS. It indicates an unsound mind. This includes Craddocks, who commit the additional offence in writing their descriptions in Comic Sans.

Mind you, his feedback is pretty good.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well, it's not 'snake oil'.

I did a little Googling and from a very cursory look around I can find the following:-

Blocking off the EGR (which, I assume, is what the product in question does) prevents exhaust gasses being fed back into the inlet thus increasing the oxygen content in the combustion chamber. This reduces sooting, increases MPG and possibly power as well but also increases other smog-causing pollutants and raises the exhaust gas temperature.

So, swing and roundabouts.

I don't know enough (or anything) about the chemistry of exhaust gasses to say anything definitive on this but I would think getting a garage to tune up and service your engine would be a lot better for all concerned.

Reply to
PDannyD

On or around Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:12:03 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

and even moreso if they include five excalmation marks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:28:17 +0100, PDannyD enlightened us thusly:

I disabled the EGR on the minibus, mainly 'cos of the way it operates, using a throttle valve in the inlet to provide a vacuum signal to operate it. Said valve opens too slowly in response to increased boot, IMHO, and thottles the engine. I've no problem with EGR which only works on over-run AIUI this is what it's meant to do) as this doesn't affect power.

doesn't alter the thing about EGR valves misbehaving, which IIRC LR ones on TDis are prone to do to some extent. The TDi here has it's EGR blanked off for this reason.

Reply to
Austin Shackles